Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sound from Apexi Exhaust

Old 05-05-2013, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Sound from Apexi Exhaust

So I recently picked up an Apexi exhaust for my RD2 and I installed it with a buddy of mine. With an aftermarket exhaust, I was expecting somewhat of an increase in exhaust sound, but there is hardly any real noticeable increase. I know it's slightly louder, but another RD2 I had with some no name cat back exhaust was MUCH louder than my current one with the Apexi. We kind of assumed the cat would dampen the noise a bit, but would/should it make such an impact on the overall noise?

I don't necessarily want a loud and obnoxious ricer-esque type sound, but I'm just curious as to why the exhaust note is so muted.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Not sure. I had an Apexi on my Tib, with OEM cat and 2.5" piping. It was a little loud but not ricey or obnoxious. Sounded really good.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Is it a full exhaust or just the muffler?

Did you remove the silencer?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 PM

^ It's the full exhaust. And I'm not sure if the silencer is still in there or not. . . bought it used.

My friend did say his truck sounds much louder without a cat on it so I'm wondering if the cat has something to do with it. It is a catco high flow unit, but either way it's restriction whatever way I want to look at it.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 PM

Someone Who Isn't Me punched out the cat on my car, and the result was the exhaust sounding 'wetter' and more gurgly. And it got dat crackle. But it didn't really change the volume of noise.

Mang check for the silencer, they're super easy to spot and iirc they just screw in and out.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 AM

^ I'll double check but could you clarify how it would screw in and out? Can I just remove it from the exhaust tip outlet end or is there someway to remove it from the inlet side?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:02 AM

It looks like a metal funnel, that somebody has poked into the end of your muffler. It reduces the diameter of the tailpipe from like 2.5" down to less than an inch. They either screw in, or there will be some hella basic bolts or screws holding it in.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Maybe I'll need to take a picture of the muffler so that maybe you can point out what I'm not seeing. As far as I can tell it seems to have the silencer installed. But as for being screwed in or bolts holding it in, I'm not so sure I see that.

Thanks for your help though and I'll see about getting a picture up shortly.