Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Some Newb Questions About Car Maintenance

Old 01-02-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, sorry for the questions i'm about to ask. They're probably very basic for many of you, but here goes. I bought my tiburon about 2.5 years ago and I haven't ever given it a tune up or changed the plugs. What all is involved in a tune up and should I buy performance spark plugs somewhere online?

Also I installed an AEM cold air intake exactly 2 years ago and I haven't cleaned it out yet at all(I imagine it's pretty dusty and dirty, I live in Nebraska) Do I need a cleaning kit or can I just pop off the end of it and dust it out? Also am I damaging my engine by leaving the intake uncleaned after so long?

And should I replace any belts, like timing belts or anything like that? Whenever it's cold outside my car squeaks like a huge nest of baby birds!

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 AM

if it makes you feel any better i have no idea either and i am very curious to hear the answer.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

How many miles are on the car?

A tune up usually consists of...

1. Checking the spark plugs and replacing if worn.
2. Checking the spark plug wires and replacing if bad.
3. Changing oil & filter.
4. Changing tranny fluid and filter. (Depending on milage)
5. Cleaning air filter (Depending on miliage and filter condition)
6. Flushing coolant and radiatior. (Depending on miliage or coolant condition.)

Spark plugs, don't go for the expensive stuff, you can get some REALLY good ones locally for cheap. Hit up the user Faithofadragon, he'll tell you about the good plugs and where to get them for dirt cheap.

Plug wires, I run the NGK's right now and they are pretty good. I HIGHLY recommend the PRD plug wires we have made for our cars. Do a search for PRD on the site and you will find all the info for them. They are great wires, and they LOOK great too.

Oil & Filter, every 3 to 5 thousand miles. Look into a good synthetic blend.

Tranny filter & Oil - as per the miliage outlined in the owners manual. Don't use the wrong tranny oil as you can destroy the tranny. Search here for the right kind of oil.

Air filter - For aftermarket filters, you want to clean them as per the directions that came with it. I belive 10 to 15 thousand miles is what it says, or as needed. If you have a oil based filter, then use the proper oil. You have an older AEM CAI so yes, you need to clean and oil it.

Coolant is also in the owners manual and is about every 3 to 5 years. Read your owners manual and get a flush kit.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm just approaching and have nearly reached the 50k mile mark. You also said I need to change the transmission fluid even though it's manual? I've never done that before either.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yup, we have tranny fluid that needs changed out too.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:13 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

One thing that was missed from your original post was the belts. If your at 50K then you have just under 10K left until your timing belt needs to be changed. It should be done at the 60K mile mark. The squeeling your hearing is probably from your other belts. They might need to be just tightened but take a good look at them. You shouldn't see any bad cracks or wear.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Never did tune up?? ohh boy.

heres what i did the first thing when i bought the car

Change Plugs and wires
Change fuel filter
Change Air Filter
Change Oil and filter
Change Belts
Change timing Belt
Change Transmission Oil
Change Coolant
Change Brake, clutch and power steering fluid
Clean Intake Manifold

Make sure you get Hyundai geniune brand for the Fuel filter, plugs and wires.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

also check boots on the drife shafts, cause if they have crack you MUST change them if you don't want to change CV joint in future.