Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

So I Need A Tranny/clutch Now

Old 06-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

well my tranny and clutch are starting to go and seince i cant find wheels i like i figured i would spend the money on a tranny and clutch combo because thats something i actually need right about now. so i called around and i came up with a beta2 tranny from an 06 elantra with 15,000Miles for $150 bucks at a local yard.

i guess my questions about gettin the new tranny are this

i know i need to do some grinding on the mount to get this beta2 tranny to fit BUT even if it fits after the grinding can i still use the beta1 clutchs or do i have to use beta2 clutch kits now?

also i know that South Bend has a good beta1 clutch for about 175 i was wondering if there are any similar priced clutch kits for the beta 2 that will hold more power then stock?

edit: after searching some more thru old threads i was wondering if anyone knows if there are gearing diffrences from updateing to the beta2 transmission?

i was also wondering if anyone knows what other concerns i should be looking for when i swap to the beta2 transmission. i dont want to start buying things and run out of money or run into a problem installing because i didnt research enough before i bought the parts.

after searching some more i found this thread here

in the thread the guy is talking about having to change some electrical connector by the dipstick. also he mentions something about having to switch the speedo sensor or gear? can someone explain more about what he was talking about? were they just talking about automatic trannys or was this also with manual transmissions too?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

My Beta II Tranny Swap

That clutch and flywheel are awesome. The more it gets broken in everyday the more I love it. Get the clutch and flywheel for an RD2. Not for the beta II tranny.

I recommend the clutch I got if you drive hard. If not just get the stage 1 or 2 disk, not puck style. I hear Southbend is also a very good clutch. I think monoxidechild would be the best person to ask about that clutch.

Buy axle seals for the transmission. Its cheap insurance.

The difference between the transmissions are: 4th and 5th gears are a tad longer. I love it! At 80 mph im at 3400-3500 rpm not 4k! Its great for the highway. Also since your getting a even newer tranny (04+) I was told that the syncros are even better than pre-2004.

Everything from your Beta I tranny has to be swapped over. The speed sensor is held on with one 10mm bolt. Since there is no dipstick on a manual tranny you will be fine. The only required grinding is on the rear tranny mount. It will be noticeable on what needs to be ground down when you try to bolt it on.

I just did this swap and if you have anymore questions, just ask!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:26 AM

everyone knows im on suthbends nut's, but after the hell i went through with SPEC, you cant blame me for supporting a good company after so much crap with another. the southbend will take what you have to give to it, and is very drivable. mix that along with a fidanza flywheel, and that beta2 trans, and have a field day with some honda's.

beta1 clutch and flywheel work fine in the beta2 tran's.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 AM

Did you happen to check Marshal's in circleville? They usually have good deals on parts.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 AM

All good to know, the Tib I am looking at has a hole through it's trans case.. thanks for the link to making the Beta2 trans work
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 AM

thanks guys i guess this means i'm going to get the beta2 tranny with a soundbend clutch.

the only mods that need to be done are

1. grind the rear mount where it bolts up
2. switch the speedo cables that use just one bolt
3. use beta 1 clutch and flywheel
4. buy spare axel seals

i think i might have to use the stock flywheel if i cant find a good deal on one. anyone have suggestions on a reasonbly priced flywheels??

thanx everyone who helped this is going to make things go alot smoother when i buy this stuff next week.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I paid $178 shipped for an F1 Racing flywheel off of ebay. It works great! No problems with it. Be sure to order the one for 2000-2004. Not the earlier ones.(smaller crank size)

I.E.: F1 Racing Flywheel

Its not a cable, its a sensor. The one on your beta I tranny should be a triagnle plug and the one on the beta II is a flat plug. But they still swap over. When you get your new one you will see the differences. Look near the bottom. See the sensor with the wires coming out and the bolt on it. Thats what you have to swap over from your beta I.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM

ahhhhhh i see

well i will be looking to get that F1 flywheel with the southbend clutch and 06beta2 tranny. i'm hoping it will make for a great tranny feel but much stronger then stock so when i'm beating on it, it will take the abuse.

is any other opinions on flywheel/clutch combo that will handle lots of abuse?? i'm open to hear anyones opinions before i take the plunge and spend money.

right now i'm looking at

beta 2 trany - 150
f1 flywheel - 175
sounthbend rally series clutch - 175
Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

it's a faq that the syncro sytem changed on the beta2 trans
my old beta 1 trans lasted around 5 years until i stripped the 3rd gear
installed a 5000 miles beta tranny, shifted well for 2 months then had major gear grinding,opened it up to find out that the syncro "rings" they use don't like to be forced whe nshifting fast (remember my car is still NA so i can't take it easy between gears),now after about 8 months the same problem came back
right now i'm building myself a beta1 tranny with a quaife,hopefully it will last more then the beta2 trans
Old 06-27-2007, 06:34 AM

hmm so dennist you would say that the beta2 tranny was actually weaker for you?? or are you just saying that for racing applications the beta2 isnt really any better.