Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

So I Cleaned My Throttle Body. . .

Old 02-05-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start, I have an occasional problem where my idle is high for no reason, say 1200, and then finally settles down. And sometimes when I first accelerate from a stop my engine sputters a bit, also when shifting into 2nd and I give it gas, the RPMs will dip/stall a bit. I thought it might be dirty injectors. Anyway. . .

I've been switching between an oiled K&N filter and a paper cone filter, comparing how clean the two keep my intake. The paper filter wins big time, BTW. The K&N lets a lot of fine dust in that leaves a coating, the cheap paper filter from ebay does not. So I had my intake off to check, and took a peek inside my TB:

Looks fine from this side. But then:

The black coating behind the butterfly was stickier than fly paper. And the butterfly was hard to open by hand initially, perhaps I have finally found my problem.

Gross! There's some condensed oil as you can see. And inside the IM:

A light coat of baked on oil. I ran a DIY catch can for a while and barely caught a drop. I wonder if this is all coming in through the PCV line? If so, wouldn't it be better to run the catch can there instead of the intake line as everyone at HP.com likes to do? This is probably why my combustion chamber looks so dirty (which I'll be doing something about soon).

Anyway, it cleaned up nicely, although there is a slight groove worn into the TB, which can be seen:

I have the Daesung TPS BTW.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:05 PM

wowie....

not to nice in the IM.

I would try to clean it then add an oil catch can.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

could you use something like throttle body cleaner on that or would that be a bad idea?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:12 PM

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean that. I might try Deep Creep, which is a spray version of Sea Foam. I'm also considering simply misting some distilled water through the TB while keeping the RPMS up on a hot engine. I don't know how well that would clean the IM, but it could certainly get rid of my combustion chamber carbon, as well as the recent ash on my spark plugs due to running B12 in the gas tank.

I won't be running B12 any more. All the posts on bobistheoilguy have turned me off from it, although I still think it would be fine every 10,000 miles or so for a thorough cleaning. I picked up some Techron instead for fuel treatment.

I'd also like to remove my head and oil pan to look for any sludge. Can the gaskets easily be reused on Beta I's? On my two Nissans, I always ended up having to buy new ones.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:27 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, definatly move your catch can man. LOL

That's about normal looking for one of our TB/IM combos after a decent amount of miliage.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM

That's what I thought. I blame the HP thread for that one. wink1.gif No wonder it did virtually nada. Why the heck does everyone put it there? I think that's the low pressure line, and the PCV is high pressure.

I've been searching on other car forums, it seems like a lot of people don't even use a return line, plugging the IM inlet and letting the catch can exhaust. Seems like that could get messy. Some people also put both lines through the same catch can, but I'd be worried about the different pressures in each line when joined like that.

If that's normal that's gross. When I removed the TB at least a tablespoon of oil came out. There was none on the fresh air side of the TB though. I'm not sure I want to know what the runners look like, probably filthy. But I bought Deep Creep, going to try that tomorrow. Amsoil Power Foam is supposed to be better, but no one carries that around here.

Next up is a new fuel filter.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:16 PM

Wierd. Mine is on the crankcase vent and it collects alot. My pvc valve and tube are always clean.

I have never had anywhere near that amout of oil in my TB or IM.

I might run the HKS can on the crankcase and my small one on the pvc.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:44 PM

None on mine. Nothing in the intake since it was installed over a year ago. Barely even an oily film on the intake side of the throttle body when it was cleaned for the first time ever at 67,000 miles.

Update:

I used the Deep Creep today. Started by removing the intake on a still-warm warm engine, and spraying it in through the TB. It didn't foam up as much as I expected. After saturating it, I used a coat hanger wrapped in a rag to get out as much black gunk as I could. Then I reconnected the intake, started the car, and fed a constant stream through a port in the intake just before the TB, while holding the RPMs at 2000.

Talk about smoke! There were literally clouds of smoke obscuring the houses across the street. I turned the car off for five minutes as per the instructions, then drove it until it stopped smoking. I noticed a difference right away, much more responsive, I wasn't expecting that. I'm going to pull my spark plugs again and see if it got all the heavy carbon buildup. I'll post pics of inside the IM as well.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:31 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Keep us updated please!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yes please do because i got that same type of problem