Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Smoke In Oil

Old 06-29-2007, 08:29 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, I think when I blew up my freakin' intake with nitrous I may have blown up a few other things. I may need new piston rings. I've got smoke comming out of my oil and it smells like gas sometimes, and I'm burning oil. The car is running like a dream, but I just don't like the idea of gas in my oil.

I read somewhere that you can drop the engine brace, then the oil pan, unbolt the pistons and pull them straight out on our cars. It costs about $15 for a new piston ring set. Is it just that simple? What else should I do? And how do you reinstall the piston with the new rings?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, so much for all the precautions when using nitrous, eh.. lol nana.gif

wait, how is SMOKE coming out of your oil? you mean the exhaust? im confused..

anyway, about the piston removal.. it is that easy.. just take off the pan, unbolt the bottom of the con. rods, and slide the pistons out.. im not sure on how easy the install will be, and how easy it will be to get a ring compressor up there. seems like it may work..

you will have to ask a veteran on the install, because i have no fvckin clue on torque specs, types of assembly oils, or any of that.. if it does work for you, installing the pistons from the bottom, let me know, cuz when i get my new motor, i will do it that way.

but if i put together your incoherent rambling in your first paragraph, here is what i get..
you are burning oil
you have gas in your oil
you have exhaust that smells like gas
your probably puffing some blue smoke..

pistons rings..
Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

wait, how is SMOKE coming out of your oil? you mean the exhaust? im confused..

exactly what i was thinking...
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 AM
DTN

^^ Yeah, was it really written that badly? I'm sorry.
I was really just asking for advice on
1. how to go about replacing the piston rings
2. What else should I do, like, are there replacable sleeves
3. If it will work to restore the compression.

Yes, I said smoke. There is exhaust smoke comming from my oil filler when I remove the cap. It may be a mixture of exhaust and fuel vapor which would normally be recirculated.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

1. piston rings can be done with removal of head FOR SURE.. should be able to be done from under, but im not sure.. just take old ones off, put new ones on, maybe with some oil for lube, not sure. then voila..

2. replacable sleeves?????? no. but i would replace your rod bearings when you do everything for sure..

3. it will restore compression.. hopefully in your blowing of everything you didnt put a gash in the cyl. wall. then there will be problems..
Old 06-29-2007, 10:23 AM
DTN

Ok... I think i'm going to try this then... I've got nothing really to loose except $15 and a few hours of labor durring an oil change.

I am not prepaired to remove the head! If anyone knows a reason this will not work, PLEASE speak up and tell me that you can't get a ring compressor up in there!

This HAS to be a 4 hour project. I cannot start this project and realize that the head has to come off in order to replace the piston rings.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

well, in theory, it will work. theres just a lot less room to play with..

just read a lil bit about them, and it looks like you might not be able to use it from under, but you can try. heres a link i looked at..

engine rebuild

lemme look into it more..

after a quick look at my car with the oil pan off.. (not just now, old pics) theres NO way you will be able to do this from under without removing a ton of stuff.. best bet would be rip off the head to do it..

heres why..

Old 06-29-2007, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

what? engine rebuild have you even done a compression test yet?!?! do that first.

dude when you pull off your filler cap when the car is hot it's not that unusual to see vapor coming out. Remember there are vents in the head to help get rid of this same vapor.

Yes you will have to remove the head or your crank and the head is going to be much easier. plus you can replace your head gasket at the same time, and you'll probably want to go ahead and toss in some rod bearings if you have gas in there they're probably damaged. Get a shop manual or get the info from else where. You'll need to know all the proper torque specs, tightening order, etc. This is not a 4 hour job. Unless your a magical mechanic your looking at ~10 hours at least.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

yeah, theres NO way this will be a 4 hour job.. im think about 10-12 if everything goes right, you have all tools and all parts you need.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah, I'm decently experienced, lots of tools, nice garage and it took me 12 for a head gasket, wires/plugs, oil, and a couple coolant flushes on a taurus. Thats with my brother helping.

your looking at more like 150-200 in parts, 10-15 hours in work, and no guarantee that everything will be fine.

here's my advise:
-go do a compression test.
-If you get poor values (at least 190, I got all ovr 210 and I've got ~95k) then go get a junkyard engine. You'll be way ahead.
-if the values are fine don't worry about it. You say it's running great if you had bad compression you'd probably notice a difference.

btw, you say it's burning oil, how much and are you sure it's not leaking oil?