Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Slipping Clutch Or Bad Belts?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok, well as a few people know, my tiburon seems to be having a problem with what I thought was the clutch, I believed it was slipping but after driving around today and really listening to the engine I noticed this higher pitch whining noise. After inspecting the motor I found that the sound was coming from the belts on the car. Any time i rev the engine up it begins to whine and it sounds like it could be slipping because my pulleys are kind of old crappy and loose. Could this be my problem not the clutch slipping. If anyone knows that would be great because it would be alot cheaper and easier to replace the belts then find out that my clutch was actually fine and I just spent alot to get a new one.
thanks
Old 06-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Belts slipping and clutch slipping are 2 different things that I think a toddler can point out LOL.

Jokes aside, next time it starts slipping throw some "belt lube" on the belts and see if it quites it down or stops the sqweeking. If so, its your belts. It wouldn't hurt to check the condition of them and their tension either.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:02 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Yeah.. If you can hear the noise when revving the engine out of gear, it can't be your clutch slipping. Try to rev up the engine from the engine bay (you can pull on the throttle body mechanism), and listen for the sound.

If you replace the belts, Goodyear Gatorback worked very good for me (unlike a generic brand which squeaked like crap).
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Well, I did rev it from the engine bay, but the only problem is, the noise is just a squeaking, I can't see if it actually is slipping unless I was to put it in gear and drive with someone sitting on the engine while im driving (which is definitely something i dont want to try) so I wasnt sure if anyone here would know whether or not the belts could cause the engine to rev and not the wheels to turn.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:19 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

There's a reason people from Montana make fun of South Dakotians.

Seriously guy. Clutch slipping = loss of power when accelerating. Belts slipping = squeaking from that side of the engine bay. Clutch and belt slipping = both.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:52 PM

ok, ok, lmao.gif the problem though is that it doesnt feel like the clutch is slipping, it grips really well and doesnt seem to be, but I also know that a co-worker of mine had to replace the timing belt on his laser because whenever it rained the belt would get wet and loose all the grip and it would be really hard to start and misfire until it dried, so I was just trying to figure out if the belt could possibly be doing the same thing