Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Slight change in timeline plans for my project...

Old 04-08-2002, 05:15 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight change in timeline plans for my project...

Heya guys, thought I'd give you another update.

First off, the motor is still in it's discrete pieces as we are STILL waiting on crank bearings. Hope to have the bearings in by Tuesday (tomorrow) and hopefully the machine shop can finish their work.

Hopefully we can have everything back in Joel's garage by Friday, which means we may even have the engine (roughly) running by Sunday night. Still likely not driveable at that point, but at least running.

So here's the change:

I had put together a small timeframe for myself, specifically that I wanted the car to be running at least 225 wheel horsepower by the time I visit my little brother in May (he graduates HS on the 20th) More to the point, when I go to visit him in Kansas, I can run at Wichita International Speedway quarter track and bring home some 13 second (or better? ) time slips! Can't do that in ABQ with the god-awful altitude problem we have here wink

Well the problem is, the turbo is still $3000 and about two months of work away. The $3000 is doable, but the two months isn't sad.gif This is lead time on the custom manifold, custom mandrel piping, et al.

So we're pushing the turbo part of the project out until around June or maybe early July. Does this mean I'm gonna be slow for the entire three months between now and then? Nope!

Enter Stage Left, dual-stage direct-port nitrous oxide eek!

I'm picking up an NX kit, four of their brand new SX2 dual-stage-in-a-single-fogger nozzles, four solenoids, two distrobution blocks, a big-ass bottle, a NOS digi-set progressive staging controller, and an MSD DIS2 with the multistage nitrous retard module.

We haven't totally decided where to start yet, but we'll either go with 50HP primary / 100HP secondary jetting (for a 50/100/150 staged setup) or the more radical 75HP primary / 125HP secondary jetting (for a 75/125/200 staged setup)

I'm actually fairly concerned about the stock differential at the 200HP level, so we may keep it "tame" at the 50/100/150 option.

But the best part is, I could have this EASILY installed before I make my way out to Kansas. And even better, I shouldn't have to worry about long-duration driving durability because (for the most part) I'll still be running N/A at just lower compression.

So, thought I'd let everyone know We are definately still doing turbo, we just happen to be doing the nitrous first And yes, when the turbo is installed, we will still keep the nitrous setup hehe wink
Old 04-08-2002, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Red..just a quick question...are you keeping the HLA's, or are you going to a solid shim design? Also, after everything is said and done with, will your red line be higher, or still be at stock level?
Old 04-08-2002, 05:52 AM

Red:
And yes, when the turbo is installed, we will still keep the nitrous setup hehe wink
OMG!!!!! eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!
Old 04-08-2002, 05:53 AM
Red

Nope, keeping the HLA's. Too much hassle for not enough payoff at the end. The redline will be set no higher than 7000RPM's unless I'm just having to spin it that extra 100RPM's at the end of fourth gear to make it across the quarter mile traps

I figure, 7K RPM's in an Elantra tranny 4th gear puts me at like 120mph or thereabouts. If I'm trapping faster than 120mph in the quarter, well I guess I'll just have to bump the rev limiter a tad or get a better tranny. wink
Old 04-08-2002, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

2000Lo&ShowTibby:
Red..just a quick question...are you keeping the HLA's, or are you going to a solid shim design? Also, after everything is said and done with, will your red line be higher, or still be at stock level?
yes and more or less.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:41 AM

he is running aftermarket con rods they are beefy mothers 2, i forget who, but its a big name in the biz... its rite on my tounge damnit
Old 04-08-2002, 08:59 AM
Red

Here is CURRENTLY what is in the car:

Brand New Parts:
$1150 - Haltech E6K, TPS/MAP/air temp/coolant temp sensors, flying lead harness,
$675 - Crower rods
$550 - Ross Racing pistons, rings, pins
$500 - Gaskets, bearings, seals, misc bolts, fuel filter, timing belt
$400 - RPW Four puck cerametallic clutch
$400 - One HLA, 16 x valve springs/retainers/locks, crank sprocket, main pulley bolt
$250 - Lucas 550cc injectors (UFB's part)
$220 - ARP main studs, Head studs
$115 - Bosch 255lph Hi-presure fuel pump

Used Parts:
$300 - 1998 Elantra 2.0L longblock (5,000 miles)
$200 - MSD DIS2 ignition box
$150 - Flywheel, crank pulley
$100 - Intake manifold
$50 - Black wiring looms, black zip ties, new soldering iron tips, handful of 12ga wire

Machine work:
$400 - Cylinder head hog-ported and gasket-matched, textured, milled 0.015"
$250 - Block overbored, honed, decked, hot-tanked
$150 - Rotating assy balanced, crank mains machined and clearanced w/bearings
$50 - Resurfaced and lightened (slightly) flywheel

Every last one of these parts (with exception of the injectors) is physically IN the car or in Joel's garage and will be installed as soon as we get the crank back. The injectors are still shipping, they should be here probably Wednesday at the latest.

[ April 08, 2002, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Red ]
Old 04-08-2002, 12:42 PM

Red,

That's a long lead time and big $$ for manifold and turbo.

Do you want me to ask around here to see if someone can put together a nice custom bent manifold for you? What is the breakdown for prices on the manifold and turbo?

I probably can't get the turbo cheaper... import customs duty but I know the guy who hand built/welded the manifold in the 620 WHP Carex tibby.. I don't know if you've seen it posted anywhere but it is a piece of art... I can have him set it up with or without an outlet for a external wastegate if you want.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Red

The three thousand dollar figure goes something like this:

New Parts:
$675 - T3/04E 57-trim, Stage 2 cartridge, 0.63A/R (good for about 400WHP total)
$400 - FMIC and shipping
$325 - Tial 40mm external wastegate

Manufactured Parts (my own):
$125 - All the custom piping and crap to go with it

I haven't decided on what blow-off valve to use yet, nor have I decided how much work I want to do on the custom piping. It might be more, or it might be less, dunno...

The bigger cost here is the $750-$1000 that I'd pay to John Urist for the custom built tubular manifold. He built his own 7-second turbocharged Mustang and placed 2nd in NHRA Outlaw class last year, so he does have at least a few good tricks up his sleeve. And although he agreed to do the manifolding for me, he also said it would be at least a month to get it all perfectly squared away.

And of course, he'll need the turbo and wastegate with the car so that he can properly determine where to place it all... Being that he's never seen a Hyundai, much less a Tiburon, under the hood for fitment reasons.

If you have a contact that already knows Hyundais and can offer a decent price for such a unit (T3 flange, Tial external wastegate attatchment) then I'm definately listening smile.gif