Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Short Throw Questions

Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, so i have a couple shifters right now. i have the Megan, an off brand ebay one that i can't even figure out how to make work, and the stock one.

now, my questions are:

did i do something wrong in my installation of the megan sts, or are all or all of them only a little bit lower/shorter of a throw? i can really only notice the difference a little bit, and it's not near what i was expecting.

has anyone bought this ebay one and gotten it to work???

is there any other shifter that ACTUALLY is a short short short throw? i'm not talking the shifter moves 7 inches from first to second, one thats like dink first then dink barely tap it down into neutral then dink barely barely tap to second?!?! my friend has one on his 03 tib and he gives me shit all the time about me having a "short throw" and it still requiring more throw than a trucks shifter. he has the ARK sts.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

the one for the link does not work for us...

Megan shifter is the best one for us
Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Actually, I'm having a problem with the Megan shifter. The small shaft with ball on in on the bottom of the shifter, doesn't fit into my stock bushing. My stock shifter has a square insert. There must be 2 versions of the bushings and shifters. It could be as easy as ordering the different bushing from a 97-99 Tib.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 AM

Vehicle: '97 hyundai tiburon fx

i'm not 100% sure but if i'm wrong somebody more knowledgable will chime in i'm sure. but the one in the ebay link i'm prety sure is for a GK not the RD but sold as an RD ss,because it's ebay and they do what the want.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ Correct. The ebay shifter is for the GK (03+) years NOT for the RD.

I had a megan that I sold to UrSONvS a while back. I went to Lowes to get the bushing (JonGTR talks about) and never had a problem. The shifter height was shorter and the throws we shortened as well. I have an RD2 so I don't know if the bushings were different from the RD1's.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 AM

yellow, yes, it does feel shorter but not by much, or, atleast not by what i was hoping for.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

QUOTE (yellowlightning @ Feb 24 2010, 12:38 PM)
^^ Correct. The ebay shifter is for the GK (03+) years NOT for the RD.

I had a megan that I sold to UrSONvS a while back. I went to Lowes to get the bushing (JonGTR talks about) and never had a problem. The shifter height was shorter and the throws we shortened as well. I have an RD2 so I don't know if the bushings were different from the RD1's.

You found the same bushing at Lowes? Did it have a slot for the input, or a round hole? My stock bushing has a slot, and the Megan requires a round hole.