Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Short Shifter Problem

Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone
i picked up a short shifter and some obx hosses off ebay last week. some guy was selling all the stuff he colected for his rd1 but never fitted. anyway the hosses didnt fit, similer shape but to big. this was strange as i thought the rd1 and rd2 engins where almost identical and parts like this where the same.?
i fitted the short shifter (not sure what brand it is but it looks like the obx ones) and it works. its a much shorted shift and more posative engage. i really like it. it only has one fault and thats that it wobbles from side to side which is normal when not in gear but it also dose it when in gear. im not talking a small wobble it s almost the length from 1st to 5th. its not a real problem as all gears engage fine its judt a bit anoying. there must be somthing im missing. any ideas???????
Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 AM

Well I do not know what kind of shifter you have, but on mine also have no idea what it is, on my shifter I have like a silver part like a cover. If I unscrew my cover right under it I have 3 hex bolts, took me a while to find but if I tighten those it stopped all wobble in my shifter
Old 01-15-2008, 11:51 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=012

this is the item. you cant see a lot in the pic but you get the idea of what it looks like.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM

Well take a picture of what you are trying to explain with the it moves alot and all that. And we can try to work on it from there.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:14 PM

ok matey. it will have to be tomorrow now as its dark now and heavy rain lol i dont fancey that lol
Old 01-15-2008, 12:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Try to be a bit more descriptive in your threads my man, most of your first post told us almost nothing.

The engine in the RD1 RD2, and the 96-2000 Elantra, IS Identical. The hoses you got...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=220188228438

Don't look as if they are for our cars.

Our hoses should look like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OBX-Radiator-Hose-Hose...1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like he gave you a set of hoses for the V6.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OBX-02-06-HYUNDAI-TIBU...1QQcmdZViewItem

If your short shifter is doing that, you installed it wrong. Take your shifter surround back off and look at the DIY on out site to see how it should be setup. I almost guarantee you installed the centering spring with the arms crossed.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:38 PM

hello mate sorry ill try and give a bit more details.
im guessing your right about the hoses. he probabily brought them and didnt realise. ill try and sell them over here and get my money back.

i probabily have done somthing wrong with the short shifter just cant work out what.
i know what you mean about the spring. i did it un crossed first and it did the same except when i put it in first the gear engages but springs back to almost the nautral position. it done that in all gears. i then crossed it and now when i put it say first it stays in the position but you can still wobble it left and right. i left it like that as at least i can tell what gear im in if i look down at it. if you see what i mean lol.

i did have a read of the diy on here before i started and it seemed simple enough but i agree with you i must have done somthing wrong. unless its just a cheap shifter. i must admit i didnt expect to win it at that price.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Do you have a bushing installed at the bottom pivot point? Some shifters require you to re-use the stock bushing and others supply a new one.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM

yeah i re used the stock ones. they helped but didnt solve the problem
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if you got the correct obx hoses, they do fit...just dont look like it at first. trim the top one a little bit and you should be good.