Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rythmic Tapping From Tob

Old 04-05-2009, 08:17 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My throwout bearing was making rhythmic tapping noises when I let the clutch go quickly in neutral. If i let it go slowly, it would not make any noise. Today, I noticed that I had some up and down play in the release fork shaft. It was due to a missing washer under the 14mm m10-1.25 nut on top of the release fork shaft. I put the washer under the nut and the rhythmic tapping went away.

I'm just wondering why... How would play in the release forks make a noise when the clutch was released quickly and not slowly?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you let it go slowly, it has time to slide to where it needs to be. If you let it go fast, it has to change position suddenly and it jumps and bounces.

Is my idea. I could be wrong though. It happened once before. joke.gif
Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, that's as good of an answer as any.. The actual movement involved still dosn't make any since to me, as far as what was causing the noise.. I just am glad it's done. Figured I'd post here about it in case someone has the problem in the future.