Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Running rich....

Old 04-23-2002, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich....

So I goto the exhaust shop today to have them check for leaks in my 2.5 exhaust. As I feel there is a power loss somewhere. No leaks were found. He did however state that (looking at the area by my Apex-i N1)I was running too rich. First off, why? And how can I correct this? As im almost certain that if I can correct this..maybe my power loss will be no more. And as for my LOUD high pitch "noise" at around 4000-4500 rpm's...he suggested rather tahn going with a glass pack, to try and drill a few holes into my Apexi Super Slicencer...??? He said that trying to make my car sound like a Mustnag (as he stated) was like trying to compair apples to oranges. And that a glass pack would only restrict air flow and also make my exhaust quieter. Does all thins information sound correct? Oh, btw this person who told me the above information owns the shop. And reguardless to say..my car was the ONLY 4cyl. and car under @least 30k in there. Mostly Mach1's/Mustangs/Impalas/galexy and a few vette's..he does mostly show cars. but he is an exhaust shop non the less.

Thanks

So, would a glass pack kill the "honda/winney" noise once I hit 4000-4500rpm's? And maybe convert it into a deeper sound? I dont want to lessen the volume..just the high pitched noise. Or even if the glass pack makes it a little louder..thats fine too...I can always add the slicencer when needed...awaiting word...
Old 04-23-2002, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cars run rich from the factory. The best way to get better performance out of our fuel system is to install yourself an S-AFC and have it dyno-tuned.

http://www.teamsr.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c...c;f=16;t=000958

Red got good performance increases out of his, with more engine mods than you've got--and the S-AFC was significantly cutting back fuel flow.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Yes, the cars run rich from the factory. The S-AFC is the only way to lean it out short of going with a complete stand alone engine management solution.

A glasspack will deepen the sound and get rid of that noise, but so will swapping the muffler with a magnaflow. It is your choice in mufflers that is causing the noise, not your lack of a resonator.