Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

RSM ecu wiring harness

Old 04-25-2002, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSM ecu wiring harness

Ok got the RSM and my car should be back from the shop, just checking on my wiring to make sure i get it correct. Can someone check it for me?

Speed Sensor: US pin 42 (need to bypass)
Ground: US pin 55
RPM: US 47
Power: US 58
All the rest of the cables are for the g-sensor

i have 4 wires, 2 for speed 1 (input/output) and 2 for speed 2 (input/output) I beleive I only have one speed sensor, so i'm only going to use speed 1, but whats would the second sensor be for? awd cars or something? anyway thankx

[ April 25, 2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Decker ]
Old 04-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

???? RSM ?????
Speed sensor????

May I STRONGLY advise you against grounding out ANYTHING to the ECU. Always ground out to the frame.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:28 AM

well i grounded the s-afc to the ecu....twice. And the manual for the RSM-GP said to ground it to the ecu's ground. But should I put it before or after the two other grounds from the s-afc?
Old 04-26-2002, 01:39 AM

Decker WTH is the RSM-GP and what does it do?
Old 04-26-2002, 02:02 AM

yah... whats that?

as far as grounding goes, my AFC is grounded to the ECU ground as well. im drawing power from the fuse box, right after one of the fuses (just for safety).
Old 04-26-2002, 02:52 AM

It's a pretty cool looking toy, full of almost-useful features

http://www.apexi-usa.com/meters_revspeedmeter.asp

I'm with Random--I wouldn't trust another electonic device daisy-chained onto the ECU power supply, heard too many horror stories of people frying them--but if the ground is good it shouldn't matter what order they connect to the ground wire.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:21 AM
Red

This APEXi part is no more "dangerous" than the S-AFC would be. APEXi explicitly outlines that the part should be grounded TO the ECU, so follow their directions. There is a good reason for it -- the same reason why the two grounds on the S-AFC must A: be grounded to ECU and B: must be SEPERATELY conencted but still go to the same wire.

Wierd I know, but just follow the directions

I am about 90% positive I'm going to buy one of these, for several reasons.

First is the tire size correction -- I'm going to slap the 17" wheels on my car, but I'm also going to fit them with something like a 235/50R17 tire instead of the "stock sized" 205/40R17. These will WAY whack out my speedo if I don't have correction... But I want my 17" wheels back on the car so I can fit larger brakes, they fit the lines of car well but aren't too showy.

Second is the speedometer output. Yes the Haltech does care how fast you're going, but if it's reading straight off the VSS, then with my bigger tires it's going to read wrong. Use the RSM to "correct" the value, and then use the RSM output to feed the Haltech. Bam, done.

Third is the optional g-force module. ****ing kickass. The biggest constraint about programming the Haltech is finding (and FUNDING) dyno time, and the conditions on a static-roller dyno isn't the same as actually DRIVING. (Wind thru the intercooler, aerodynamic drag on the car, better overall cooling, et al) But if you have a cool little device like this, while the numbers may not mimic a dynojet, they will still be accurate IN RELEVANCE to itself. If this guy shows a power gain on back-to-back runs while tuning the Haltech, then there IS a power gain.

And finally, the 2D g-force gadget is also good for playing with suspension tuning. If you're tweaking on the suspension, how would you know if your lateral G holding power went up or down if the change was only about 0.1G? Well, here's your answer...

I like it. I'll probably pick one up...
Old 04-26-2002, 03:30 AM

Thanks RED. It looks like it is a G-Tech Pro on steriods.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:47 AM

Well the reason I got was for several reasons, to find my top speed, cause I swear i was going above the speed limiter. Second of all to measure horsepower, i heard this thing is alot more accurate than a g-tech but slightly less than a dynojet. My buddy dyno-ed his car and has a rsm and he said it was 1hp different. Second of all it'll bypass your speedlimiter if you have one. If your limiter is 125mph it'll tell it your going 124mph so that you can keep accelerating while it accurately tracks your speed. Oh and like red said, it'll give you 99% accurate reading with any size rims instead of our 90% accurate speedometer.

Another reason is that you can have it control your ZEX kit, instead of getting a MSD(?) device to activate your kit at certain rpm's you can use this to only activate the kit at certain rpm's,speed,throttle, etc etc.

The list goes on, the coolest thing I found on it is that you can get a 2dgrid from above, and it'll tell you where your center of gravity is. And like someone else said, you can tune your components, HP wise and suspension wise.

That and it'll look wicked above my s-afc wink

For all those thinking about getting nos, get this instead of the MSD device, its 200 and 50 extra for the g-force module. Its looks super bad-ass. I'll post pictures and descriptions of what i did later tonight!!!

Right now this is a picture of one in my buddies prelude(looks like a s-afc).

[ April 26, 2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Decker ]
Old 04-26-2002, 04:14 AM

Wow, after those sales pitches I revise my statement--it's a cool looking toy from the gods with all sorts of very useful features!

This should be on everyone's christmas list