Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rside Advanced Shifter And Stock Stupid Bushings..

Old 12-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will get pics later, its to friggin cold outside, i needed to come in my apartment and warm up.

anyways, this may only pertain to the rside shifter because the way it is constructed. but some of the other stuff deals with the stock shifter crap.

instead of rside taking the time to make the whole short shifter base out of one piece they decided to make it out of two pieces and have to socket head cap screws holding the top part on, so when i went to look at the shifter the top part was a little loose. anyways, i tightened that up, and it helped a little bit..

so i took apart the whole thing and figured out where some of the sloppyness comes from. seems like a good amount comes from these.. the lil two white bushings in red that go on the ends of the short shifter base are crap and need to be a snug fit. im going to see if my dad can make us a full length tighter bushing that slips over the bolt and goes through shifter. another problem that could be fixed a little is that lil plastic cup bushing on the bottom but im not sure yet if its worth making a new part. we will see though.

even with the spring crossed over and wider ends on them, the spring is our biggest culprit for a good amount of the slop in the shifter, but that bushing i will try getting made should help a significant amount, and if i can figure out something to do with that 'cup' bushing, that should help also.

theres no real point to this post, except letting people know some of the things i came across that could be better, and that i may be able to at least get the big bushing made to help with our notorious slop.

FYI, i have my shifter bushings in now, and holy hell, just running through the gears when the car is off, its alot tighter feeling. i cant wait to get it on the road..
Old 12-02-2006, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Maybe shorts and sandles are your problem there... you insane? tongue.gif
Old 12-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

dood, quit with all your off topic posts.. thats not even me, its example pics from REDZMANs DIY for the install of this shifter.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 PM

I had a buddy of mine fab me up a bushing that fit a lot tighter and it made the sloppiness almost completely go away. then that little plastic one at the bottom somehow cracked in half... speaking of which, if anyone has an extra one of those let me know cuz i still dont have one haha
Old 12-02-2006, 05:28 PM

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Dec 2 2006, 05:57 PM)
dood, quit with all your off topic posts.. thats not even me, its example pics from REDZMANs DIY for the install of this shifter.

Well since your original post had to do with taking pictures of bushings, my post was on topic, so don't worry about it.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

caj quit goin offtopic in every post you post in

next time i see it youll get a warning
Old 12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

ok, since this is my thread, i guess i will be offtopic..

ur post wouldnt be on topic even if they were my own pics, your post had nothing to do with shifter bushings, shifters, tiburons, cars, or anything even close to on topic..

if you dont have anything to comment on in regards to the shifter problem or shifter bushings get out of my thread.. getout.gif
Old 12-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

check out wat I did to make a shorter shift.

It works like a charm, took about half inch off the throw from 1st to 2nd

dont give me shit for the quality photo chopping losers !

oh and then I lowered the shifter knob, but i had to cut about an inch of it off to lower it enough !!!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 AM

I made some simple shims out of a tin can, which eliminated the bushing slop. I had slop even with new bushings.

As for the plastic bushing that connects to the control arm, try moving just the control arm by hand. It should not have excessive play. If it does, remove the shifter baseplate and check the pin holding the control arm bolt.

Here it is. I knew I had a thread on this somewhere.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:33 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I eliminated alot of slop by tightening down the bolt harder. i've got less then 1/2" slop at the top of the shifter now. We run cables so they slop a bit more then cars with bars. If these new bushings can eliminate slop, I'll buy them.