Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rotating The Engine?

Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get cyl #1 to TDC. I've got all the plugs out. I have the timing (cam) gear cover off to see the "up" and white dot marks on the pulley.

How does one now rotate the engine? I have a plastic dowel in the spark plug hole marked with white tape to watch it top out it's upward travel.

Please tell me rotating the engine manually is easy!

And is the crank pulley a 22mm?
Old 04-12-2008, 04:17 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Blip the starter. Stick a big rag into the spark plug hole. When the rag shoots out, you're near TDC. On the intake and exhaust strokes the valves are open. I saw a mechanic find TDC on a civic using that method once. Then you can use your plastic dowel.

You can also get ahold of the crank bolt through the opening in the fender on the passenger side and spin it that way.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Don't know about the '97 but the '01 has a hole in the passenger side inner fender to get a socket and extension on the crank pulley nut so crank it over that way once you know you are on the compression stroke.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:29 PM

OK, so TDC HAS to be on the compression stroke only? I think I get it now. The rag is used to ensure it's compressing (valves closed) and then use the crank pulley and my plastic dowel to fine-tune it?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

The crankshaft will rotate twice to each time the camshaft rotates once. Use your dowl if you line up to marks on the camshaft and the dowl goes in all the way, rotate it once again and you will have TDC. What webtech and things dont say is that you can have your camshaft and crankshaft marks lined up but you could be at TDC or BDC on cylinder 1.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 AM

OK, timing marks are all lined up at #1 TDC. I got the yellow mark at 12:00 and the other yelow marks on the pulley at thier correct place and my dowel is topped out.

Looks like timing is good. Now back to my other thread.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

glad my instructions were understandable. That was the hardest part when i did my timing belt was reseting the timing until i though it through..