Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Resonators?

Old 02-23-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (faithofadragon)
yeah its low between idle and 3k its bearly noticeable
oh and o.p. straight through mufflers dont really gain more hp ive seen dynos when someone had a straight through muffler take it off and put like a magnaflow and gain hp

Really? I would expect to have highest HP with a straigh through muffle, but some loss of TQ. But as I said I won't be taking it off any time soon. I really like the way it looks and hopefully I'll get it to sound the way I want it to.

Thanks for all of your replies guys. I will keep ya all updated as it progresses.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:29 PM

The Ultraflo SS supposedly has twice the flow of the Super Turbo. But IIRC, the Super Turbo still has more flow than we need. I don't think it's an issue.

Here's the page. 410cfm vs 1000cfm for the Ultraflo.

According to this, it's not an issue for NA, unless you're over 186hp:

Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a few hp if it means I can drive without getting a headache from the sound and having everyone stare.

OP, Summit has good prices and cheap shipping. They got my parts to me in two days.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ True dat. Mufflers believe it or not make a huge difference backpressure wise. A straight thru is going to flow more air, and create less resistance. However it might be a lil buzzy. Mine will probably buzz once I get a header.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 PM

I'm getting my glasspack from summit, but nothing else yet.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:41 AM

Just keep in mind that you have like two options on straight thru muffler that is EMPTY inside, and a straight thru that has perforated core and has some kind of packing; now that would give you a minimal HP difference (less than 1 HP I guess) and it helps a lot deadening the high notes and vibration, which we hear as a "buzz"
There are mufflers that look exactly like what you want, and still have some packing inside...
Old 02-24-2005, 08:21 AM

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
what setup do you have? headers and exhaust, or just an exhaust?

How much power do you estimate you gained and how much power do you think it took away with a glasspack? what kind of glasspack you used?

thanks

OP

I dont have a header, but i do have manderla bent 2.5 inch from the cat back. My exhaust setup is as follows

stock manifold
stock cat
hollowed out #2 cat
removed resonator with the addition of a 28 inch thrush glasspack
Apexi N1 muffler

my glasspack "resonator" goes from about 6 inches off of my cat..and follows back to about a foot before the first bend to where the exhaust goes to the rear wheel so it takes up alot of the mid section of exhaust

as far as my butt dyno... ill let u know this..when i used to drive my car..i would go about half throttle till i hit 4 grand, then just romp it to the floor..and it would chirp...after i removed the resonator and put a straight pipe through..it would spin the tires fairly nicely.. and second gear pulled fairly hard and so did the top of third. After i put the glasspack on it i got rid of that g*d awful raspy noise, and when i did the 4 grand romp haha thats what we will call it, it would spin the tires about 2 or three spins , and then grab... so all in all i would say that its an awesome mod, *keep in mind it varys from car to car, i belive that this mod will put me into hte 15's seeing as how i was running 16.10's and 16.20's at the track with just a muffler and a wai.. sorry about the book guys!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:18 AM

QUOTE (Zman)
Just keep in mind that you have like two options on straight thru muffler that is EMPTY inside, and a straight thru that has perforated core and has some kind of packing; now that would give you a minimal HP difference (less than 1 HP I guess) and it helps a lot deadening the high notes and vibration, which we hear as a "buzz"
There are mufflers that look exactly like what you want, and still have some packing inside...

Muffler that I have has perforated core inside, so it can't get any better for straight through design.

AEMTIB, thanks for sharing. I will let everyone know how it goes when it's gonna be installed.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:47 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

will post clips of the sound with gt headers. it won't be until a few weeks though. headers are still shipping.

what exactly is a glasspack?

i see summitracing advertised all the time.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:00 PM

it is exactly what it sounds like. A glasspack is a type of straight through muffler that instead of chambers to absorb the sound, uses a perforated (best) or louvered (worst) main tube that is then wrapped in strands of glass to muffle the noise of combustion.