Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Resonators?

Old 02-22-2005, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on doing couple more things to the car( BBTB, IM, ground wires, probably cams, and some kind of piggy back) and then gonna get it all dynoed.

Don't be sorry about anything because title does say " resonators", so it's my fault. I should have titled it "glasspacks".
Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

On NA engine place where where you put resonator affect at what RPM you will have increased hp.

Pashka read this article (it's in russian, sorry guys) http://www.plamgas.ru/articles/article05/
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A glasspack is probably not going to effect performance too much in any way, and will do a pretty good job at deadening it. Also if the sound annoys you if its still a little buzzy, but decent, you could take some sound deadener to the inside of the car to make it better for you.

Honestly have no idea what brand my muffler is as it doesn't have a name on it. I just told the exhaust shop guys "Put something on it that will sound mellow and deep." I didn't even know they had put a straight-thru on until I jacked the car up to look at their work.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:36 AM

when i puled my stock resonater off, it was really buzzy also, but i had alot of more power in the mid rpm range, but i hated the sound, so i put a 28 inch glasspack on it and it toned the sound down alot, which now it sounds good, but it also took away some of its balls
Old 02-23-2005, 11:28 AM

QUOTE (AEMTIB01)
when i puled my stock resonater off, it was really buzzy also, but i had alot of more power in the mid rpm range, but i hated the sound, so i put a 28 inch glasspack on it and it toned the sound down alot, which now it sounds good, but it also took away some of its balls

what setup do you have? headers and exhaust, or just an exhaust?

How much power do you estimate you gained and how much power do you think it took away with a glasspack? what kind of glasspack you used?

thanks

OP
Old 02-23-2005, 02:46 PM

High Oddessit,
Right now I have the stock setup till the cat (well; we don't use cats here, just a resonatro instead) and from there to the end I have custom ending in a SummitRacing Stainless Steel muffler, it's has an internal baffle that kind of divides the flow into two streams inside the muffler, it also has stainless and ceramic packing (and it was kind of cheap, 80 bucks or so for a SS muffler).
The sound was way much better than with a straight through empty muffler. However, as I was planing on getting a Maintec header --which is waiting for install-- I installed a Thrush 45" glasspack, it sounds very NEAT, no vibrations at all, very deep and low tone, not ricey at all.
Also, that glasspack has a perforated core, but a true perforated core, no innings of any type in the flow way, you look through it and you see as if it was just a pipe; I didn't feel any power loss, and I'm pretty sure with that configuration (no innings) it should'nt robb any power you could feel in a streetable car.
I will let you know how it changed when I install my headers next week, but I have a friend with an Elantra and the same setup except he got his header installed already and it sounds very good though, not canny, still deep and low.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:19 PM

thank for the input man. I have no room to fit 45" thrush, so my only choice is 28". Hopefully it will do the job.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

yup i have a thrush too i got the 28" and it really helps quiet things down

i have
obx 4-2-1
carsound cat
thrush glasspack
mandrel bent 2.25 pipe
dynomax super turbo

between idle and 3000 rpm you can bearly hear it
my intake is louder than my exhaust system
and at 3000 rpm its quieter than abqelantras car at idle:eek2:jk but dam near close
Old 02-23-2005, 04:35 PM

Did you have the whole thing installed at the same time? or did you put cat and a resonator later on?

Did you feel a lot of power gain?

any buzz at WOT?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

put the resonator on last
it was loud when i had just the cat and muffler quieting down
i got busted by the sound police and got a fix it ticket