Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Resonators?

Old 02-22-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonators?

As some of you know I got motoria headers and exhaust recently and really hate its sound, so I'm looking for a resonator to put on.

I don't want a resonator with louver baffle because it will take some top end power away, so I want drilled reasonator. And so far the only one I found with perforated cented ( does it mean it's drilled inside?). It's made by thrush and depending on how much room I have it will either be 28" or 45".

I also want to know if a resonator like this will increase hp if installed on a place of a straight pipe? or will it take some power?

thanks guys

OP
Old 02-22-2005, 09:15 PM

I cant help u much, but if it blocks the flow or increases back flow in anyway, i can garentee that it decreases power....
Old 02-22-2005, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

it would definatly take power compared to a test pipe, its really that bad to you huh? glad im going custom
Old 02-22-2005, 09:23 PM

I'm not putting a resonator in place of test pipe. Test pipe will be replaced by high flow cat. I'm gonna put a resonator on the straight pipe. Will cut the old one off and put a resonator on its place.

I believe that straight through resonator with drilled holes in it will actually increase HP, but need this confirmed.

Alex, I thought you were gonna buy motoria exhaust???

The exhaust sounds great, it's the header that makes the buzz. It will sound good with your turbo.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:30 PM

Carsound Cat might quiet the buzz down a bit......

I don't see how a resonator would give you more HP than a strai pipe, but probably flows more than a louvered. I have a red hots louvered. I can't tell if it cuts flow. It is still strait through. Makes a ticking sound constantly.

I am going through the same dilema. Except I have ssauto Header, carsound cat and 2.5 custom piping. It has the "honda" zippy sound that I hate. I think it is from my muffler. It is a strait through carbon fiber.

Just purchased a dynomax super turbo muffler. Sick of the loudness and buzzing. Nice to be low key..........

Does it have a resonator at all???
Old 02-22-2005, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Perforated core creates indentations which won't decrease flow, but it will mess with the velocity a bit. You'll sacrifice a touch of power, less than a louver. Think of it like buying a regular muffler instead of a straight thru- your sacrificing a hair of power for sound so you don't make your ears bleed whenever you get on the throttle. tongue.gif

^^ Straight thru mufflers will be buzzy... except mine. tongue.gif
Old 02-22-2005, 09:36 PM

Thanks Ham. I really hate the sound and won't be able to deal with it for much longer... and sacrafazing a HP over the noise is definitely worth it.

I'm gonna drive a little bit more to see if I get a cel with no cats, and if I do I'll get a cat and a resonator, if not then I'll just get my resonator installed.

SSA exhaust has a resonator, but it's small.

Ham, which muffler do you have???
Old 02-22-2005, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

A good glasspack should tone it down a lil' whereas the resonator with just the perforated core will not do that much to help with the sound issue. The glasspack will have the same design but with sound deadening material inside the chamber.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:49 PM

Yeah, Thrush that I'm looking at is a glasspack muffler. hopefully 28" of it will take the buzz away and won't take much power.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
Yeah, Thrush that I'm looking at is a glasspack muffler. hopefully 28" of it will take the buzz away and won't take much power.

Sorry mate! : I'm guessing it'll do the job & it shouldn't cause a noticeable loss of power. If the funds are there, you should get the car on a dyno to see what sort of improvements the new exhaust system has made cool.gif