Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Removing Cam Sprockets

Old 10-04-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there guys,

Im seriously hoping you guys can help me out here -

Ive just purchased a set of Catcams 254/248 to compliment my NA setup, along side a mate with an RD2, and now we have a bit problem:

How the heck do the sprockets come off the origional cams? Basically, we need to use the stock sprockets on the new camshafts, however, there appears to be no mechanical way of removing them - ie bolts, threads etc etc

Ive had a look look around the site but cant find any answers, and even after asking many people, noone seems to know -

the 2 suggestions are that you either sweat them off or use a press to get them off -

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I've got a bunch of spare cams in my garage. I'll take a look. I can't remember how I did my Cat Cams.

Out of curiosity, have you considered adjustable cam gears along with a cam wheel? Your Beta 1's can use these since you don't have CVVT. They'll give you adjustability and you won't have to pull off your stock ones.

One of these (price say $0, so you'll have to contact them to see if they can still get it):
http://kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=80&ai_id=665

One of these:
http://kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=80&ai_id=670
Old 10-04-2008, 12:16 PM

That'd be great, thanks alot i8acobra,

I hadnt seen your reply previously and have just sent a PM asking the same thing, so please ignore that wink1.gif

Hmm the only thing is with these is that I think that they are very expensive - and origionally hadnt planned on using adjustable ones due to not going FI, but if worst comes to worst....

Did you by chance actually use the origional sprockets?

I think the only way that we can do this (well the only suggestions) are pressing or sweating. Im reluctant to use a press incase it permanantly stretches the seal, and therefore ends up looser in the long run... but if the common way is to sweat them on then that would be ok - as long as its "the norm" as such.

If you could help me out, you'd have my gratitude forever smile.gif as It seems all other suggestions are now exhausted
Old 10-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I just used my press. I have a 20-ton hydraulic press. I would have stopped if it was taking alot of pressure to do, 'cause I would've been worried about damaging the cams. I'm pretty sure it didn't take much pressure. They're not really tight, 'cause they don't need to be. They're keyed to stay in position, so they don't need to be super tight.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

you need a press to get them out and install them
Old 10-06-2008, 05:45 AM

Thats great, thanks for all your help guys. Will get onto that asap smile.gif
Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (i8acobra @ Oct 4 2008, 11:52 AM)
I've got a bunch of spare cams in my garage. I'll take a look. I can't remember how I did my Cat Cams.

Out of curiosity, have you considered adjustable cam gears along with a cam wheel? Your Beta 1's can use these since you don't have CVVT. They'll give you adjustability and you won't have to pull off your stock ones.

One of these (price say $0, so you'll have to contact them to see if they can still get it):
http://kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=80&ai_id=665

One of these:
http://kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=80&ai_id=670

The cam sprockets were made by RSide, whom went out of business about 3 years ago.

Also, ordering from Kspec is bad for your health, your best luck would be Mad John.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Oct 6 2008, 01:15 PM)
Also, ordering from Kspec is bad for your health, your best luck would be Mad John.

Really? I ordered a shift knob and had it 10 days later.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Miracles do happen.

There are dozens of threads about good and horrible outcomes with Kspec and SFR, both here and at NT.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Oct 6 2008, 05:46 PM)
Miracles do happen.

There are dozens of threads about good and horrible outcomes with Kspec and SFR, both here and at NT.

offtopic.gif cant say there are very many threads about horrible outcomes with either on NT