Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Is this for real?

Old 04-08-2002, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Is this for real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAP...9338868&r=0&t=0
Old 04-08-2002, 10:50 AM
Red

There is no EGR on the BETA engines.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:55 AM

BS!!!!! Its based off the fuel dump theory. Not worth it and will damage your
1.CAT
2.o2 sensors
3.environment
4.small cute furry ferrets

probably the same bs, as the resistor mod a few weeks ago.
"if its not used on the track, its crap"
i don't think hyundai and its oodles of engineers overlooked 15hp that could be harnessed without damaging your engine or causing problems.

just my 2c

[ April 08, 2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Decker ]
Old 04-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Red

No, this is a different scam... Certain cars (mostly older ones) would actually suck in some of the exhaust gas under certain conditions to keep emissions in check. This is called Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and the "flapper" that controls the exhaust gas coming back into the motor is called the EGR valve.

On cars that have an EGR system, that flapper closes when you floor the car so that your "request for more power" isn't obstructed by sucking in exhaust gas and reburning it. A bad EGR valve can cause hesitation and stumbling and can also cause poor performance.

However...

The Tiburons and Elantras with BETA engines do not have an EGR system. There is positively no place to put this flapper, because there is no EGR ANYTHING.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

The same guy is selling a "coolant line bypass" kit. Which, if I remember correctly, is just a matter of connecting both ends of the coolant line together, rather than running it around the TB.

Rip off!

Note to Random - I did search before posting, but didn't come across this thread smile.gif
Old 04-08-2002, 10:28 PM

Red:
There is no EGR on the BETA engines.
Also the ALPHA engines do not have EGR valves
Old 04-08-2002, 11:09 PM

Xorro, the theory behind that one is actually that the heated coolant will heat everything else (mainly the air going in through the TB). We all know that hot air = less dense = less hp. So the theory itself seems solid enough, but the amount of heating that the coolant actually does is probably so insignificant that you wouldn't see a difference.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:46 AM

http://www.stratusphere.org/cgi-bin/ib3/ik...t=ST;f=21;t=100

He also found the Stratus people.

We utilize EGR valves, and a company actually made the block off mod, till we proved it wrong.

It instantly threw codes to the ECU triggering the engine light. For the amount of work involved in getting it to work correctly, it would not be worth it, serously.

As far as the coolent line goes, well the Stratus radiator cap/thermostat/coolant line is all on the lefthand side of the IM. There is no line, except the straight 5 inch line that feeds into the coolent overflow resivoir.

Fools and their money are easily parted, but un-educated fools get scammed

BTW, a few of us reported this guy to Ebay.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:56 PM

If it seems too good to be true its probably Mothballs..

I just feel bad for the people who dont take time to check these things out and more people should report these things when they see them..

at best they do nothing at worst they hurt your engine either way your out some cash..

I wonder how many people have to use the warrenty for things like this or if they are even covered..

BTW Xorro at least he didnt get the Evil Search guy out.. smile.gif
Old 04-09-2002, 06:53 PM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

Loafy, I understand the principal and all that - I was just saying that if you didn't want to run the coolant around the TB, then you can do the mod yourself for about $2, rather than paying $10 to some guy.