Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rd1 Tib, Worth Swapping The 1.8 For A 2.0?

Old 04-27-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 97 rd1 is getting up in miles and im thinking about giving her an all-engine facelift. some of my friends who have done swaps in thier... um... (can you say honda on here?) well lets say thier filthy piles of crap have suggested rebuilding my 1.8. i was wondering if anybody has an opinion on a rebuild or swapping for the 2.0, if nothing else i know it has a lot more mods. would these mods (headers, intakes, plug wires etc) fit onto my 1.8 or is the 2.0 a must?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

all bolt on mods are interchangeable between 1.8's and 2.0's. even the heads are somewhat identical.

but personally i'd swap in another 1.8 wink1.gif
or just give the one you have some lovin'
how many miles? so far my beta is still truckin' ..somewhat

and you can say the word honda, LMAO. we don't hate.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

How many miles do you have? Does your engine burns oil? What compression is in cylinders?
Are you going for some serious mods such as boost?

Probably finding low mile engine will be cheaper than rebuild. I would put in 2.0 engine. I think it's direct swap, even your 1.8 ECU will work with 2.0 engine.

If you are gonna turbocharge your engine, you may rebuild engine with low comp pistons fing02.gif

Yes you can keep headers, plugs, etc.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:51 AM

Now you bring up an interesting point. I know in a lot of older 4 cylinders (ok, fiats..) you can swap the 1.8 heads onto a 2.0 block and get a raise in compression due to the smaller combustion chamber.

If the 1.8 and the 2.0 Beta run the same compression, we might be looking at the same thing... unless Hyundai changed the pistons to lower the static compression when it went with the larger displacement.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 AM

???
I thought this was an old discussion... It has to be so, that's why you can change the compression when you add 1.8 pistons onto the 2.0.

My question here would be WHY, why did hyundai lower the compression on the 2.0? Would it have been because of mileage? Emissions? I don't know, they lowered the compression and used a milder camshaft on the 2.0 (which by the way benefits a lot from the pistons and camshaft from the 1.8) I don't know why would they do something like that if not for emissions, even when I don't necesarily understand how those parts would affect emissions that much.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:53 PM

going off topic a bit.. but... they would have had to lower the compression some due to the change in displacement. You are squashing a lot more air in the 2.0 and the 1.8... so if you did not lower the static compression ratio.. it would be up in the 11 to 1 area... too high for regular unleaded even with a knock sensor.

As for the differences in cams. The 1.8 did not make that much less power than the 2.0.. but it made it higher up in the rev band... the 2.0 makes more power lower down.. so it is a more "friendly" engine.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:16 PM

mine has 160k, no burning oil, just hearing clicks and stuff to let me know shes getting old. i love the car and would love to know shes good for the next three years until im out of college. iv done a lot of little things like new brakes and im getting going on new wheel bearings and some shocks/struts.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:34 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

^^^
Do you have 160K miles or km?

1.8 and 2.0 has same heads, even on the head there is a mark "1.8 , 2.0"

1.8 has lower compression ratio - 10.0:1 whereas 2.0 has 10.3:1
Old 04-29-2006, 07:48 PM

160k miles if you can believe it, she still runs like mad. i have done brakes and little things like lights and oil for my car, my brothers jetta and my moms impala and the hyundai is the easiest thing to mess with i have seen. i have never had a problem at all except for the obvious, bearings, balljoints, and regular brake replacement. thats why i want to keep her young so bad, id keep this car forever if i could.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:06 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

all mods for 2.0 and 1.8 are the same. i have the 1.8 too. i say if your gonna swap it try to keep it the same cuz im not so totaly sure how the ecu would work out. i know it has been done but im not so sure how it would interact with the engine.

if your just hearing clicks try switching your oil to a sythetic blend or a synthetic ,clicks usually come from our lifters.

you should be able to get another 160,000 no problem but your trany prolly wont. save your money for when it does go but by then it will either be wrecked or sold.

good luck