Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Random Special is on

Old 05-03-2002, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Special is on

after work today my friend and i put on the random special and oohhh it sounds so nice with my race muffler nice and loud pics will be coming very soon
Old 05-03-2002, 01:05 PM

Nice. I have heat wrapped KORE CAI so it looks like Random special smile.gif (heat wrapping is VERY important to gain most power from CAI)
Old 05-03-2002, 03:09 PM

didnt heat wrap mine i drove it for 3 hours straight and when i got home the intake was lukewarm to the touch. so im not going to bother only thing i have to do is put the sensor into the pipe wasnt able to do that today
Old 05-03-2002, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

4CyLofFuRy

Do 15 minutes of bumper to bumper driving, or 15 mintues of idling while parked, Your intake will me MUCH hotter. That is why the heat wrap is used. Durring normal driving, it doesn't help much, as the intake air is moving fast enough to scrub heat off the intake without seriously affecting it's own tempature. Also, air flow through the engine compartment at speed is quite good, and keeps under hood temps down. However, durring slow speed travel, or idling, underhood temps skyrocket, and the intake pipe quickly heats up. Since you are not moving very fast, you are not sucking much air into the engine, so the intake air is not able to scrub the heat from the intake pipe, allowing it to get hotter and hotter. This slower moving air is also spending more time in the intake, absorbing more heat.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tiburon GT

Random, but why would you need that 0.5-1HP that heat wrap provides while you are idling or moving really slow in traffic?
Old 05-03-2002, 11:40 PM

thanks for the info Random i didnt know that. Blue if the heat wrap isnt on and i do either of what random said(idle or bumper to bumper traffic driving) then my engine will be recieving hot air and prolly dmg the engine
Old 05-03-2002, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

BlueGT:
Random, but why would you need that 0.5-1HP that heat wrap provides while you are idling or moving really slow in traffic?
It's more than .5hp to 1hp. I can be over 5 hp.
You don't need the power in traffic, but you do modifications to ADD power.

The hotter the CAI pipe gets, the hotter the TB/and IM get, the more you heat the intake air.

The for each rise in IAT, you get a corresponding rise in EGT, which heats up the engine compartment more...which raises the IAT, which raises the EGT...etc..etc..etc..

You have to do A LOT of driving to cool all those parts back down to where the Metal in the CAI is cool again, down to the point where you are not loosing HP because your CAI is heating the intake air.

Once you get out of that bumper to bumper traffic, the CAI that is heatwrap will still retain most, if not all of its' "cold" air properties. The plain metal one will not. Then you WILL want the power, and it will just not be there.

I didn't add the heat wrap to the Random Special to drop the intake air temps 1 or 2 degrees. I added it because it drops the intake air temps over 20 degrees vs a non wrapped intake. That 20 degrees is in "normal" driving. In extended bumper to bumper traffic, your IAT's can be over 120 degrees. With the heat wrap they never vary more than 5 degrees above outside air tempature.

The Heat Wrap is by no means a requirement, but I would say it is strongly reccomended.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:51 PM

Hehe it won't be that extreme; you won't damage anything by having "hot" (hot being very relative considering how hot it gets inside a CAI) air sucked into your CAI. You'll just lose ~1hp, which you could get back by heat wrapping the CAI. But nothing to fear about breaking your engine.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:09 AM
BV1

What works good as heat wrap, and where might one find some? smile.gif

-Steve
Old 05-04-2002, 01:55 AM
Guy

Heat Wrap or Exhaust Wrap can be purchased @ Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys...& Autozone(not sure about Autozone). It makes a CRAZY Difference! hope this helps, bv1....peace