Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Random Noise And Scariness

Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

This afternoon the car began making a curious noise. At first I mistook it for an emergency siren from a firetruck or ambulance. But when I came to another intersection I heard it again, this time notably as the engine revved down. The next 2 intersections confirmed this as well. But the sound progressed into a grinding noise that occurred when traveling above 40mpoh then a clunking noise with a random loss of power at all speeds. I stopped to check the belts and all seems well, then tested he AC compressor and revving in neutral none of which showed any results. Restarting the car and putting back into drive I felt no torque when I let off the breaks. Then I tried to drive the car with O/D disengaged and it did something really strange, it would rev to 3 and 4k but would not shift. I can drive all I want in 1st gear but that’s not going to get me to work tomorrow.

Any ideas?
I’m at a bit of a loss because I depend on this car right now for a daily driver. I won’t have the funds for a new transmission for 6 months or so.

What happened:
Pulling away from a stop sign (at a 4-way stop) my wife let out a loud shriek and something about us getting hit. Naturally I came to a rapid stop while trying to find the oncoming car.

The Car:
2001 Tibby
Automatic
83k miles
Bone stock (not raced or tuned… yet)
Old 07-01-2008, 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/tiburon

Same thing with my mother's mercury sable....in her case was the transmission
Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 AM

As I feared it is the tranny. This happened about 60 miles form home so i parked it for a while and came back. When i returned the car was driving fine so I tooled around the area for about 10 minutes when the car began shifting erratically, it finally wound up in 3rd gear and wont come out until you park and leave the car for a good 30 mins. My wife's Pontiac Sunbird does something similar, if driven far enough on a hot day the car will not downshift; in its case it just a stuck transmission solenoid, which in that car you can just unplug and run all day without error. But with the tibby it will not shift up or down resulting in a more prominent fear. I'm taking it in today for diags with a respectable shop. Hopefully its repairable and relatively minor but i doubt it.

If the tranny is screwed it may just be time for a manual swap, I cant afford the sequential yet.
Does anyone know if the Delta 6-speed will bolt up?
I found one for a pretty nice price w/ hardware and low-mile clutch.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:15 AM

So now that its confirmed that the tibby's transmission is 100% toast, gear shrapnel seems to be floating around inside there. Lord only knows what the previous owner thought he was doing. But now it's time to find a new one. I have found several options and finally decided that its going to continue to be automatic until the delta goes in. A local junkyard has an auto tranny off an '04 (2.0L) Tib w/ good mount, and is offering it for next to nothing because I have promised to buy the Delta after we buy our house (and I have a garage to put it in.) That and after 15 years worth of spare car parts I have probably made these guys fabulously wealthy.
Now comes the important question: Will the Beta II trans bolt up to the beta 1 without machining?

I have seen a good number of posts saying yes and an equal number saying no. So the answer is either a very solid "maybe," or I just focused on the wrong posts.
Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanx guys!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

The only 6 speed that will bolt up to the Beta is the 6 speed option tranny that is only avable in korea and it new is 3500USD.. the resion why no one uses it here on there tunneing cars are the clutch options are limited and you cant use a twin disk clutch with the 6 speed..

can you tear it apart? tell me what you need and i will go to the junk yard here or a tranny shop and get you what you need...
Old 07-05-2008, 06:33 AM

Thanx for the help! And what model is that 6-speed? I want to know more about it.
But for now I think a rebuild will take too long, and the beta2 auto has been offered up at just over $100 w/ less than 50k miles on it. I doubt I could even rebuild at that cost. I still wonder if that beta2 trans will bolt w/out hassle, but I see a few folk here have done it before so I'm off to the junkyard this week end. Wish me luck. fing02.gif

I pondered the manual swap and after browsing the site thought heavily about how to mate the 6-speed but in the end that will take WAY too long, plus the beta only has to last another 18 months or so worth of Tibby life left. I fear putting that much time into this job then in the end finding the Xtrac unit I want and having to seal the holes I drilled for the s&m Cylinder and wiring.