Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

----random?

Old 07-28-2001, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ----random?

Ok, recently (last few days), when ive been gunning my car from the start, going up to 5 1/2 to 6 grand in the revs, I shift quickly into second and my gears grind. I do finish the shift and kill the civic but my ****ing car sounds like **** when i grind the gears. Is it just my shifting too fast or is there some problem with the tranny. If anybody has any info please email me at drljubav@yahoo.com.

ACMD= All Civics Must Die!!
Old 07-28-2001, 05:12 PM

Dude, I think that when you shift, you don't push the clutch all the way down. Since you are shifting fast, by the time you go into 2nd, you have already let the clutch all the way up. Just make sure you step on the clutch all the way down. Of course I could be wrong, but that's what I believe. If I'm wrong, please correct me, anyone.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:41 AM

You don't have to push "all the way down," but make sure you are pushing past the friction point...the point where you no longer feel resistance from the engine through the pedal.
Old 07-29-2001, 04:07 AM

You may have blown your syncro-rings in your tranny. sad.gif
Old 07-29-2001, 09:12 AM

I know that i push it all the way down, when i shift a little slower, which makes me lose time, it shifts ok. My buddy told me either my clutch is going, which i dont believe or my syncros are gone in that gear.

What should i say to the guys at the dealership, "My gears grind when i kick it??"

marko
Old 07-29-2001, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It sounds like you may have ground down a Syncro. Is it always the 1-2 shift? What about downshifting from 3-2?

When you do this...are you clutching, or "speed shifting"(not using the clutch)?

Does this happen when you drive normally and sedately or only when you drive hard.

lastly...have you checked your tranny oil/fluid level lately? When was the last time you changed it?
Old 07-30-2001, 12:55 AM

my brother had the same problem on his hyundai scoupe. the problem was the 1-2 synchro. it would only grind when he was "gunning it."
Old 07-30-2001, 09:54 AM

37,000 kms

1 to 2 shift

didnt check tranny fluid levels

got advice that in beating the syncro and that i should try using thicker trannyfluid

im clutching and only grinds when i gun it

ACMD
Old 07-30-2001, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Thicker Gear Oil might hold it off a little while...but sooner or later, it sounds like that syncro will need to be replaced....
Old 07-31-2001, 02:04 PM

They are probably correct when they say it is your syncronisers. They have worn down because of improper shifting probably (not letting the clutch in all the way) Syncros are a delicate thing. My DelSol DOHC VTEC had this problem when I recieved the car used. It gets worse though. sad.gif Sycros are very expensive to replace because of the labor involved. You have to disasemble the tranny to do it. Here is the good news smile.gif I had my syncros replaced for $300. How you ask? No I didn't do it myself. I called Honda and told them my problem. They felt the syncros should not be wearing at such few miles on the car so they covered instalation - I just payed for parts!!! Yes I know your car isn't a Honda but with your low miles on the car and a silver toungue you might just get out cheap. Call Hyundai and see what can be done. I don't mean the dealer I mean call the Hyundai Customer relations office in the USA. They can help. The dealer might just give you double talk. Hey if you still got that great warranty then that should cover all your problems!!! OH well, hope I was help. Oh and lighten up on your shifts and practice timing your shift throws with pushing in the clutch. Most people don't kill syncros cause there slam shifting OR not pushing the pedal in all the way - they just are so in a hurry to shift that there hand moves before there foot has a chance to fully compress the clutch. One hundreth of a second on a street race is not worth $2000.