Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Random???

Old 05-07-2001, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random???

random...about how much HP increase am i looking at if i add a BBTB? How about with say a 4-2-1 header also?? thanks
Old 05-07-2001, 07:44 AM

Have your worked on your intake? Headers could increase maybe 10%. Now combine a good intake, wide throttle a nice head and good set of headers and a camshaft this if you are not going turbo. Otherwise change your strategy. Contact HVE http://www.hve.com.au/
Old 05-07-2001, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

BTB and BIM are good for about 3 HP at the wheels. CAI is good for about the same.

4-2-1 headers should be good for about another 5-8 HP at the wheels.

Grand total of between 10 and 15 HP at the wheels once everything is installed.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:44 AM

Throttle body and camshaft will help you additionally. How much? Depends on the camshaft, go for a good midrange cam, if you go for a lot of rpm (racing) the low end will be dead. Ask the characteristics of their cam to make sure you get what you want.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Adding a cam into the mix can change everything. A low range cam (torque) can lower your overall HP, but the car will feel faster due to the increased acceleration down low.

A High range cam (High RPM HP) can raise your overall HP number, but make the car slower due to a decrease in torque.

Plan your engine. I cant stress that enough. PLAN YOUR ENGINE

Ask questions from the manufacturers. It might be a GOOD THING to match a High Torque cam to a 4-1 Header. The 4-1 header is usually high RPM HP gain with low RPM torque loss, the cam might fill in the low spot the header creates, OR....it could make it worse. The low rpm CAM could just hate the 4-1 header, and you could lose HP and torque.

Talk to the Cam company, find out what style of headers they reccomend. Talk to the Header company, find out what kind of Cams they reccomend. Then plan accordingly!
Old 05-08-2001, 08:27 AM

You said it Random PLAN YOUR ENGINE. All suggestions change if you go a supercharger or turbo charger strategy rather than naturally aspirated. So be sure what you want before you start INVESTING!!!
Old 05-08-2001, 10:05 AM

Now what whoudl happen if you wanted a cam, headers and wanted to throw a NOS kit into the mix. What whould you be looking at there? I am looking for a wide range of power! I am planning on getting the 4-2-1 header for the mid-range, I also wanted to get an ECU that has a lot of torgue and off the line power, but at the same time would the high range cam and NOS just kill that mix.

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: Tiburon_69er ]
Old 05-08-2001, 10:11 AM

It is OK but you will get the boost only when using NOX, not permanently as the turbo or supercharger.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

To the way I understand things, high RPM cams are good for N2O, low RPM cams are bad for N2O. To much N2O get's in at low RPM and does bad things to the engine.

Check with one of the N2O companies and see what they reccomend.
Old 05-08-2001, 02:08 PM

OK, here's what I'd do if I wanted a good, all around dependable HP producing motor. First I'd locate a 2.0 motor from a wrecked Hyundai. Take it to a reputable engine shop, have the short block rebuilt, balanced and blueprinted. Have the head flow tested, then ported and polished. A set of mild street cams, bored TB, Extrude Honed ported intake manifold, CAI, turbo kit and a free flow exhaust to finish it off. Then I'd pull my stock motor, install my performance motor along with a quality clutch kit and I'm all set. It seems that everybody wants to get power just by throwing things on their engines with no sense of planning or insight into what exactly they are doing!!