Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rad Replacement

Old 04-29-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I discover yesterday my rad is loosing coolant on the top, it's not broken or anything it seems the sealant on the top part is gone, and the mechanic said they can't be fixed, that I have to replace it.

So I was wondering, should I go for the OEM radiator, or is there a part you guys already know that is a "bol on" or very close to a direct fit? Maybe there is a US made radiator that I can use. The reason I ask is beacause I am N/A and will stay N/A so I don't know if the things the turbo bunch has done here is the way I should go )maybe those radiators in turbocars are too much for an N/A car?)
Old 04-29-2006, 05:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000

the koyo radiator for the gk models is supposed to be a direct fit there is a post about it in this forum. smile.gif
Old 04-29-2006, 06:20 PM

Thanks man.

I really think it sucks our OEM rads have this gasket type fitting for the core and tanks; if you could see my radiator, the core is immaculate, not a single dimple nor scratch, and the plastic top tank is also in very good shape, and it is leaking great amounts of coolant on the union (core to upper tank).

It is a shame I now have to spend on this since this money is in no way going to make my car better, it's money just to have it "bau". 02.gif

Well, if anyone else feels like throwing some ideas here, feel free to post them.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

take it to a radiator shop the tanks can be changed aslong as the core is still good.

in other words find a better mechanic

Edit: the mechanic can be rite but usually if the core is still good and not leaking out of its seems it can be repaired cheap by replacing the tank"s" they dont weld anything it usually has tabs that hold it to the core and gaskets to seal it.

Warning: do not put radiator stop leak in your radiator it can plug up the water ports in the head of your engine aswell as plug off your thermostat. wich will cauz over heating and head gasket failure or head cracking.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM

OK; I will find out about that... what kind of repair should I expect (I don't mean quality, I mean what job)?
Is it possible to change just the tanks? With what? Do they weld the new tank to the core? In that case it should be an alu tank right? So that they can weld alu on alu right?

Please everybody step in, all help/knowledge will be welcomed, I am really a newbie in radiator issues; and I definitely will want to spare me the $$$ on a repair that will give nothing.

My only choice right now is to go for an aftermarket custom made copper radiator, but I will try to avoid that as possible because i think they really look FUGLY and they also aren't as good as aluminum radiators.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:43 PM

believe it or not.. copper radiators cool better... Copper is a MUCH better conductor than Aluminum.. however, aluminum is stronger, can be drawn out thinner, and can be made into a radiator easier..

Chances are, a good radiator or even a machine shop would be able to fabricate up an aluminum end tank and MIG or TIG it onto the core.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:59 AM

It's all in the design. Copper radiators WOULD cool better, if they were constructed properly. But there are lots of other factors to consider. This thread compares the two, and is interesting, although some posts are nothing but technical debate.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You know, there was a discussion about this in Sport Compact Car this month.

Want me to scan the article?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:58 PM

^^ That would be nice...
Old 04-30-2006, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^I read that article as well redz, Mainly it was saying aluminum is a horrible conductor. Actually me and my brother were talking about it today. It's good for other reasons that that, copper's better for cooling but less durable.

Though all in all if you HAVE to get another I'd go aluminum. if a radiator shop can do it cheap do that.