Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Questions

Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib
Default Questions

Some questions recently came across my mind and was wondering what you all thought.

1. My needle supposedly redlines at 6500 rpm. I have pushed that pretty close several times. I have never gone in the red, but I am curious how healthy it is.

2. I have a brand new engine from the dealer (they messed up something and it blew) and my friend said until I rack more miles on the engine, I should not go above 4000 rpm. But I already drove more than 2500 and I am often pushed to about 4000 rpm. Is the engine screwed?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

1. The engine "redlines" at 6000, however the fuel cut off is at 6750. So Hyundai gives you 750 RPM of room. Even if you DID over rev the engine, the fuel cut out, would drop the rev's back down to below 6500 rather quickly. So, needless to say, just getting NEAR 6000 RPM won't hurt you.

2. Your "friend" is misguided. When an engine is first being broken in, it needs to be run at all RPM levels, and the transmission needs to be run through all the gears. For the first 100 to 500 miles, you should try to vary the engine RPM and gear selection as much as possible for the conditions while retaing your safty and the safty of others. Freeway speeds of under 80 mph can be done in 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

Changing between gears is to bed in the clutch, and to make sure the gears mesh together properly.

If you can, avoid the freeway all together, and try to never to the same speed in the same gear for more than 5 minutes at a time. Speed up 5 mph, slow down 5 mph, switch up or down a gear, repeat...

Do this for the first 500 miles. After that, your engine is almost broken in. Change the oil and oil filter. Yup. Change the oil and filter at the first 500 mile mark.

There were all kinds of casting flaws, and little metal bits and sharp edges on everything in your engine. By running the engine for the first 500 miles, you pretty much rounded most of that stuff off.

Great! But now it's in your oil, and "hopefully" in your oil filter.

Change them both at 500, 1500 and 3000, then every 3000 after that.

Good luck! smile.gif
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Also, after it's broken in don't worry too much about the redline. The biggest reason not to go there is the fact that you don't make good power there. While autocrossing it's common for me to run for several seconds bouncing off of the rev limiter as opposed to shifting up. The rev limiter is there to protect your engine, and it's set low since it's in a car with a 100,000 mile warranty.

Back when I started driving there were no rev limiters in most cars so you actually had to watch carefully or you would over-rev and cause problems. Now it's not really an issue with computer controlled cars.