Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Question to people who have the XD cam installed

Old 04-22-2002, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to people who have the XD cam installed

As I am sure some of you know, I have been having problems with my friend's Tib ever since I put a cam in her.. I noticed today that the stock camshaft has a little "Tit" on the end of her.. Not the Driver's side, but the other side.. The XD camshaft I got from Hyundai DOES NOT have this "Tit"

I was thinking that it was a sending unit for the TDC Sensor (Hyundai's wording for a Camshaft Sensor) I got my car scaned today, and they said the TDC Sensor (Camshaft Sensor) was defective..

Not sure though.. All I know is my idle is rough, and I did not have that code before I put that cam in her car.. Just tell me if your camshaft had the Tit on it, please.. I will put a pic on here...

It is on the Right side of that pic..
Thanks in Advance guys..

~Matt

[ April 22, 2002, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Choopi ]
Old 04-22-2002, 02:27 PM

The problem is your cam sensor can't read the signal without "the Tit" .There's got to be way to get the tit out of your stock cam and install it in your new cam.A machine shop can solve this problem.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:49 PM

Darn Tits, always messin with the guy's shafts! (cam shafts...you sicko's)

Seriously though! I hope you get that taken care of. I'm wondering if this is a defect in the cam you recieved? I have the new XD cams, but do not have them installed.

I actually have my cams sitting right here beside me, so I whipped the digicam out and snapped a pic of my shaft for you. Is this the tit?

So... if I have it on my XD cams, then something is not right with yours.

[ April 23, 2002, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: FluteMuffin ]
Old 04-22-2002, 11:02 PM

Yup yup, that is the bastard.. I dunno why mine would not have it.. Hmm... I recon I will go to the dealer**** and get myself another camshaft..

Thanks guys.. :

~Matt
Old 04-23-2002, 02:52 AM

Yeah a machine shop could get that out, or if you can get to the back side of it on your old cam (looks like the centre is hollow at that point), you may be able to move it out with some penetrating oil and a punch.

Unless the new cam didn't even come drilled for the peg, in which case it's defective smile.gif
Old 04-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Veniston:
Yeah a machine shop could get that out, or if you can get to the back side of it on your old cam (looks like the centre is hollow at that point), you may be able to move it out with some penetrating oil and a punch. smile.gif
Only problem with that theory is that you have to have that "tit" perfectly aligned. If it is even 1 or 2 degrees off, the ECU will think the cams are in a different position, and will fire off the spark at the WRONG TIME. NOT GOOD.

Return the cam for a unit with the "tit" installed.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:47 PM

Is that whole end unit threaded on? I figured it was a part of the main shaft, and the hole was drilled into that. It would be hard to screw up the alignment with a tight-fit peg in a close-tolerance hole. But if the whole end unit moves--I absolutely agree with you.

Needless to say I haven't actually played with the hyundai cams yet smile.gif
Old 04-24-2002, 12:25 AM

Well, first off, I would like to thanks you guys.. smile.gif The "Tit" WILL NOT COME OUT.. I tried.. Even so, I do think there would be an alignment problem.. There is no reason for me to go through that much trouble if I can just go back to the dealer**** and say "HEY!! This one is defective" And they will get me another one..

Thanks Guys, I'll let you know what turns out of this!!
Old 04-24-2002, 09:57 AM

Well guys, GOOD NEWS!!!

When I first got the cam, They said they had to order it from Jacksonville, FL.. about 3 hours north of me..

Got it the next day..

Today, I got there early enough for them to order it and have it here today.. smile.gif

Well, IT did not have the "tit" in it either.. I was like.. "DAMNIT"

I talked to the head Tech at the dealer****, Jimmy, and he said it was fairly common to not have them installed.. I asked what HE would do, and he showed me a machine.. (Now, I had MY stock cam in my car, since I had to drive it up there..) And I said "Well, how long would that take?" He said "Do you have the cam here?" I said "Yes" He said "Where" I said "In my motor"

He says "Pull your car around, we will do it right now."

And I pulled her around, and we pulled the stock cam, and he punched out the Tit.. He pressed the Tit into the new camshaft, and we went to put it back in and we snapped 4 damn bolts.. LOL

He got a new set of bolts, and we went back to work... Got it all done.. smile.gif

Now there is NO CEL, NO Hesitation, and NO problems.. And she feels GREAT!!!

I was skeptical about just popping the Tit out, and putting it back it, but Jimmy said it was alright.. smile.gif REALLY REALLY nice guy.. Bought him a 12 pack of Bud for it.. smile.gif He said if I ever had any problems to come back in and he would take care of me.

Happy Ending for a change...

Once again..

THANKS GUYS!!!!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:34 PM

way to go choopi!