Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Question About My Engine Life

Old 02-06-2007, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 104k on the motor. Actually when I put in the clutchmasters stage 1 with fidanza 7.5lbs about a month ago, I put some octane boost and 93 octane gas and drove to GA with it excited to see the performance. Anyways, about a week after that I was out of oil, I think I drove too many miles on mobil 1 synthetic, unsure of actual amount between the last oil change and my friend told me he could hear my car making a noise when he was coming out of the grocery store about 100 feet away. I checked the oil and it showed none. I went and got it changed about 5 mins later and the car was still making a metallic type sound when I drove off after the oil change. I drove home and the noise went away. Anyways after this I am worried that my engine my be damaged slightly as an effect. It kills me to think I destroyed my engine but it runs fine now except my friend was sitting in my car when I went in a convenience store and he said it is idling rough and I would have to agree it is idling a little rougher than before. I'm no mechanic I just love driving the he** outta cars and so now i'm worried that my engine life maybe compromised. So now I'm hoping to learn from the experience and when it dies replace the motor with a new one and maybe do the turbo at that time. How long do these motors last if they are properly maintained? Also, I haven't followed factory service to specs, I have done timing belt/all belts, plugs and wires at 60k and thats it. I am just happy to have found this site so I can learn about how to properly take care of the car because I am happy with it and its been completely reliable thus far.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

They last a good ways, I've seen some Betas with 150-180k on motor that still run decent.

You shouldn't be running Synthetic at 104k though. The metalic noise is the HLAs (located on the camshafts), they make ticking noises when they are starved for oil.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 AM

My Tibby has 175,000. It had a similar noise when I first brought it. All I can say about that is Lucas! fing02.gif
Old 02-06-2007, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

did you jump straight to 93 from 87 or 89? cause i have a friend that did that and it fvcked up his motor.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 AM

^^ LOL thats not going to do anything.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:46 PM

Ths brings up an interesting question. Which motor oil should a Tib with 125K+ miles on it use?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Well, obviously synthetic wouldn't be any good.

You wouuld generally want a thicker oil, not so thick as to not adequately lubricate during cold starts, but thick enough to keep everything sealed it up as the oil gums up over time and helps keep things sealed.

I'd stay away from the high mileage motor oils with additives if you still drive the Tib hard, the additives they add usually mean the oil has less lubricative properties.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

That metallic sound is probably the lifters not getting oil. this usually happens when the car sits for long or after an oil change sometimes when there's a gap in between changes. it should only happen once or twice but never again.

Are you getting a CEL? you will have to describe the sound more, pop the hood and see where exactly it's coming from.

Anyways, about a week after that I was out of oil

why were you out of oil? you shouldn't be at all. maybe you have an oil leak.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

ok...so what type of oil...cause im using mobil 1 synethic also and i have about 92,600 miles on the car

edit
this also happen to me...did not torque down the nut of the sandwhich plate and drove over 800 from VA to Detroit...and i had the ticking noise...Im pretty sure it was your lifters...cause when i add some oil, it went right away...for the hard idling i would check you spark plugs and wires cause you suppose to change those every 30K and you are way pass that
Old 02-06-2007, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

QUOTE (hamhead @ Feb 6 2007, 12:24 PM)
^^ LOL thats not going to do anything.

i'm serious it seized up his motor.