Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

question about blueprinting

Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default question about blueprinting

from what i understand, blue printing is when they take your engine apart and weigh everything the pistons rods etc. they take the pistons and find the lightest one then make all the other pistons the same weight. this goes for all the rods and valves etc. too correct?

does doing this, does it let you know your motor is at the best tolerances and what not and that everything in the engine is the same? this is good for reliability, right?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=w...G=Search+Google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=b...G=Search+Google

The answers are universal. They have also been explained in depth (with pictures), repeatedly. You can prevent a n00b question here AND get a thorough answer, by asking Mr. Google instead.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

That's basically the idea behind it. They can get very detailed as to what all they can do, but it's essentially ensuring that everything is properly balanced, smoothed, and even. This allows your engine to run much smoother and more reliably. That's why any extreme boost project should only be on a bullet-proofed (blueprinted) engine.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

Thanks strike eagle. At least some people on this forum are willing to explain stuff properly without screaming google search. How do they go about making everything the same weight. Do they just machine the top of the pistons until they are all the same? Wont changing the pistons like that affect compression?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

GOOGLE SEARCH!!!!!

There, just had to.

Really though, as far as I know nobody on here has done it (someone's welcome to prove me wrong), so we're just taking what we do (or don't) know from our own research and trying to repeat it here. So anything I'm saying is either more just common sense or second-hand information. That's why we keep pointing you to google.

As far as the crankshaft, they shave it down until it's perfectly balanced. As far as I know they also remove a bit of weight to reduce the inertia behind it.
Rods are pretty simple to get the same weight, and as long as you don't affect the structure of the rod, taking material away should be fine.
Pistons are similar, except the weight would have to come off the bottom of the piston, not the top so it wouldn't affect compression. Shaving off the top of the piston is just a bad idea...
And we're talking only removing a gram or two of weight, so it's not taking off too much anyhow.