Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Propane Conversion With Pics

Old 04-22-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

My dad installed propane equipment on his Daewoo Espero 2.0.
He choose 2nd generation (propane carbuerator with electronic control), all equipment with instalation was about $460.

1L of gas (91 octan) in Uraine is $0.78
1L of propane is $0.32
so propane is 2.5 times cheaper than gas.

Here are some pics:

here is pic of engine bay

it's propane tank in the trunk. Capacity is 62L (16.3 galons) but you may fill up only 80% of that (safety precausions, there is a limiter that will stop fill up).

propane reductor (thing that lowers propane pressure from 230 psi (liquid propane) to couple bars). Reductor is heated b engine coolant.

Propane ECU and connector for notebook.
This ECU is connected to stock O2 sensor and other sensors and works in close loop.
So when you at WOT it add propane, same as with fuel injection

You can see here wires that goes to stock injectors. Propane injector use that signal to calculate how much propane to use.

this is propane regulator.
in non electronic system it's mechanical regulator (you can regulate AFR). in this system it has actuator that is controlled by propane ECU

propane is injected in that thing befor throttle body. that thing also has a valve that prevent back fires from damaging intake piping/MAF/filter.

it's a button that turns propane on. there are also LEDs that show how much propane is in the tank.

You can turn on system only when engine temp is more than 95 F, also you need to reach 2500 RPM.
System will stay on (even if you shut the engine) until you turn it off with that button again. But each time you will be automatically start engine and heat it up on gas then system with automatically turn propan on.

Engine works a bit quiter on propane, and I don't see big difference in acceleration, maybe 0.5 seconds worse in 0-60 mph time. Fuel consumpion is the same as on gas.

After 600-1000 miles of drive you need to do 1st service - tighten all conections, ECU calibration.

Then you need to do service every 6000 miles.

--
PS. There is also 4th generation - propane injector (propane is injected in intake manifold near stock injectors). I saw this system installed on new Mazda 6, Toyota Landcruiser...
Old 04-22-2006, 08:09 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

they have been doing the LPG AKA propane thing here for a long time.. hell you can even buy a new car with this option. i would say that 90% of all the taxi are lpg here... they even have a 100% conversion from l gas to lpg i think is about 800 bucks or so.. but you make up for that in the long run...

me i am f***ed anyway just 2 hours ago i filled my car up with 21L about 5.7 gallons of 110 octane for my car cost me 38.76 buck....ahhhhh

now the city buses are changeing over to lpg... never in the 22 years in korea have i head of a lpg power care blowing up in a crash or when they get rearended. the system is rather safe
Old 04-22-2006, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

QUOTE (viper2x21 @ Apr 22 2006, 03:46 PM)
omg......for now on im reading the forum before i click a link

Agreed!!!

EDIT: That was weird... not sure how that happened. We have a lot of our city vehicles on propane here. Never looked into the conversion but sounds interesting.