Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Project Gasmilage

Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I don't have any facts, I would think that upshifting so early would waste more gas than staying in gear until higher rpms and shifting late. I've tried shifting early at low rpms, and it feels like the engine isn't using the gas I give it, even when I'm careful not to feed it too much.

I'm skeptical that shifting below 2000 rpm is more economical than shifting at 3000 or higher, which is what I do.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:30 PM

ok u guys come on quit being lazy

"i need real numbers bla bla"

ok lets see

if u passed middle school or have a ged u can do this

heres the numbers i will give u

361 miles driven

14.5 gallons of gas used

what was my milage per gallon
Old 08-04-2005, 10:39 PM

Well, you did just say per tank, not 14.5.

I have never been able to put 14.5 in my car, and I fill up with the light on and the needle bottomed out.

Most of my fillups are 12.5-13.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:44 AM

JL_TIB - Yea man, its not really a good idea to just let your car run till there is no fuel just to see how many miles per tank you get. Most people dont let it go all the way down to nothing. The most i ever had to fill at once was 13.5 gallons. Dude are you sure your really filled it a full 14.5 gallons. Cuz if so that is horrible milage. Your looking at 24 MPG, ive never had it that low. I mean when i first got my intake i drove like a nut for aout 2-3 tanks and i never saw anything lower than 25 MPG.

44MPG is no lie. I swear that is what i got. And like JL_TIB said. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out your gas milage.

Like i said that was with new plugs, oil, air filter, 2.5 full exhaust and using cruise control. Im tellin ya. If you dont drive fast on the highway the tib can put up amazing numbers. Really think about it, when on the highway for that long the car is just cruisin and can lean out safely.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:45 AM

^^ Are you using larger wheels? If so your odometer could end up off a good bit by the time you emptied a tank. I'm wondering about that 44mpg myself. I guess it's possible, but I once drafted for 250 miles behind an 18 wheeler and still only averaged 38.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:58 AM

thats sweet, 300+ miles per tank, im getting 250 if im lucky. 02.gif

but it proberly has a lot to do with driving at 90mph up the motorwar to work every day.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:15 AM

QUOTE (CyberShark @ Aug 4 2005, 09:45 AM)
I think it's kind of ironic that people are spending money to try to save on gas. You'll end up spending more money on parts and will probably take a good while to make up the difference as you'll only be saving a few pennies at best at the tank.

You really think so? If you get an extra TWO miles per gallon.. that is an extra thirty miles to a tank. Thirty Miles to a tank is roughly one gallon... If you are running the good stuff... that is almost $2.50 right there....
Old 08-05-2005, 07:26 AM

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Aug 5 2005, 03:30 AM)
Skipping gears can't hurt a thing as long as you do it right. If you do not bog the engine or slip the clutch, then you did not hurt the transmision, clutch, or the engine.

I don't think skipping gears will harm anything mechanically, but I certainly don't think it will help with gas millage.

When you skip gears, one of two situations occurs:

1) You enter a gear WAY too early, at which point the transmission is not working effeciently at all, and you are wasting gas.

2) You enter the next gear pefectly, which means you were in the last one way too long. You WERE at the transmissions optimum effeciency zone, but went beyond it for a given period of time - which means you wasted gas in order to enter the next gear at a high enough speed at a high enough RPM.

Both situations = wasted gas.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:26 AM

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Aug 5 2005, 12:15 PM)
You really think so? If you get an extra TWO miles per gallon.. that is an extra thirty miles to a tank. Thirty Miles to a tank is roughly one gallon... If you are running the good stuff... that is almost $2.50 right there....

That's IF you're saving a couple of miles per gallon and that's IF you use the good stuff. It's not that clean cut either, it depends on how much you drive your car, stops and go's, whether you much of your driving on the highway or not.
Like I said, the best way to save on gas is to controll your foot and keep up with maintenance.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:26 AM

Fonseca - I am running stock rims with stock size tires. So I doubt my odometer is off. Last time i went to New York i averaged just about 40 MPG. This time i took the trip with a lot of new things and a more free flowing I/E. And i know that my math is right. The equation would be Miles/Number of gallons to refill= MPG. You guys can doubt it, but im not kidding and id have no reason to make the story up either. But hey its whatever. Next time i tak ea long trip im gonna take pics of the odometer and gas tank screen. Im going up to New york again in a couple weeks, so ill be sure to post those pics up when i get home.