Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Power Steering Delete (w/ 1 Picture)

Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

i thought tx was all about being free and rebulican?? you guys sure to have alot of rules. here in ohio if you pay you get to drive. sh*t you can build just about anything and someone will give you plates for it.

on the PS delete i did it on my blue car and loved it. removed pump,resevouir,lines and the feeling was awsome. so communicative and clear when i'm at cruising speed or manuvouring.

on my new black car i just removed the belt and it dosent feel as good because i still have fluid in the system. when its empty you can feel everything. i personally never plugged or refilled the rack and drove around for 2 years with no issues. planning on doing it again and if for some crazy reason the rack goes bad(dont know why it would if in 2years my last was just fine) i'll just throw on my spare no biggy.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I finally have to get this set back up because inspection is due in April. I got a cooler installed and plumbed, now I just need to come up with a high pressure hose. The one with the banjo bolt fitting on top of the power steering pump, that goes way down behind the engine? The one that will be a PITA to remove/replace? Yeah, that one. If I all of a sudden come up with all kinds of spare time, I'll rig up a bypass. For now I'm just going back to having power steering.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent

junkyard?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'm the wrong color for decent service at Junkyards here, trust me. I been down that road.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

:biggrin: All you gots to do is walk in and say "WAZZ HAPP ON ING" with a hispanic lisp!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

I did this too with my GK and I love the way it drives, once you have a few days under your belt you dont notice the loss of assistance. I have a smaller lighter steering wheel so the tight corner maneuvering has its moments but overall I am quite happy as well.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tibby

Do you have to use a dps inspector or can you go to a less than respectable station like in dallas everyone and the mom seems to do inspections.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

In Texas, they have to enter your car's information into a computer that's networked at the State level. Unless you find a REALLY crooked inspector, they have to at least hook your car up to the machine.

In the long run (add it to the list of projects) I'd like to get a bypass valve in there so I could just "switch" the power steering on for inspection time. That will involve at least one visit to a hydraulics shop for a custom hose, I think. For now I'll just live with power steering again. LOL there are worse problems a guy could have!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

i removed all of the PS gear on my beta LC, sh*t's good man. pump, lines, reservoir, cooler, everything. i drained all the fluid and ran a return loop on the rack to stop dust entry. been driving it for about 2 months.

the belt let go on my X3, i've just left it as is. feels not as good, but still better than ps. definitely a good tricep workout, i love it. for autocross work, i reccommend it as i found myself out-steering my ps pump on a few occasions!

good mod, and its free
Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

How much better did your gas mileage get after you did it?