Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Power Loss Questions...

Old 08-09-2001, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss Questions...

What are some thing's I can check if I'm feeling a power loss? I have NGK plugs/K&N oil filter/Custom CAI in fender w/new filter...Apexi thru Exhaust...ummmm

Might it be the O2 Sensor? Or could the "buildup" in my exhaust be causing it? Is it reccomended to "clean" out the exhaust? And how would it be done? with a short stick and paper towel wrapped around it? I cant think what else it might be....I'm gonna get an injector clearner tomorrow..maybe that'll help...I've noticed this in the past few days...it just doesnt have the umppph. Like the little kick from the CAI isnt there...idles fine. oil levels..and all other's fine...not leaking anything. All ways 93 octane. O2 sensor is like 60.00 shipped to me..so i need alittle advise b4 i buy it..to make sure it "might" be that...I do have this little gadget to hook up to my 02 sensor to tell me if im too leave or too rich...but my adjustor wont be ready for a few days...

Does anyone already make soimthin like this? and how much doe sit run? something to monitor if your runnning to rich/lean and to be able to adj. in the car wehile driving? If not...I have a killer product then...If so..im sure I can sell it cheaper..maybe..

-Thanks
Old 08-09-2001, 03:39 PM

Oh also:

For arguement sake..say some little rocks/dirt..road debree...get into the engine..from my CAI in the fender...how can I chk to see if this happend? And what would happen if some little "rocks" did get into the CAI? this damn performance loss is kinda pissing me off....any ideas? And if my air filter got a little wet..and got some little bits of water in the tb...what would happen? Just curious how to fix this slow (can still take many cars..but just no kick to it)

-Thanks
Old 08-09-2001, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It could be car is slow due to air pressure, heat and humidity. they all lower performance. Wait for a high pressure zone to come into SW flordia, along with cooler temps, and you car should be fine. Hell, race around at around 3am and you should notice the "pep" back in your engine.

You can try injector cleaner. and oil change. Pull your plugs and clean them off with a wire brush. You should NEVER have to "clean" an exhaust....

Without hard data as to how your car did before, and with no hard data now, it's kind hard to diagnose a performance problem, or a fix.

PEFORMANCE TIP!
If you have a CAI, heat wrap it with Themotec heat wrap (the fabric stuff, not the shiney metal stuff), you can then soak the fabric with water. This will not cool your intake air below outside air temps...but it WILL make a difference. With a normal heat wrapped Random Special, I see +3 or +2 above outside air. With the water soaked Random Special...I see +1 max above outside air.

You can also heat wrap your intake manifold (that gets damn hot), and soak that down with water as well.

Keep in mind...heat wrap does not last long when you soak it, let it dry, soak it...let it dry..etc..etc.. But if you want that added "oomph" every once in a while. Do the heat wraping...and only water soak it on those 'special' occasions.

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 08-09-2001, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Fast.Shark:
For arguement sake..say some little rocks/dirt..road debree...get into the engine..from my CAI in the fender
You've got a filter on there, how would that "road debris" get past the filter"?

...how can I chk to see if this happend?

Remove the filter and look inside the CAI. Is it clean? Then chances are, so is your engine!

And what would happen if some little "rocks" did get into the CAI?
Not much really. A rock is to heavy to make it up 2.5' of engine tubing...even a really small one. If it did, it would hit your MAF screen and stop there. If it was a grain of sand, that could end up in your engine, but you would have scored piston walls, leak oil, and blow blue smoke when you accelerate if you did have this problem.

this damn performance loss is kinda pissing me off....any ideas? And if my air filter got a little wet..and got some little bits of water in the tb...what would happen?

The water would turn to steam long before it ever hit the combustion chamber. Your TB and Intake manifold run around 130 to 170 degrees depending on where you touch them. That would pretty much take care of any water long before it made it's way to the combustion chamber. Even if it somehow did, the heat of the combustion chamber would quickly evaporate it. Water would only be a problem if
1 small quanity for a long enough period of time to cool the combustion chamber
2 large enough quanity to hydro lock the engine.

You would notice either very quickly, right when they happened.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:33 PM

Thanks Random. I'll do what you suggested. I just feel unperpared for my met tonight and also for Saturday...(In case there's any racing involved)

Oil change/Fuel Injector cleaner/brush off plugs/Check and clean out CAI if need be....where can I get that heat wrap? So I can do my CAI? I am getting a real pipe (rather than just PVC) made up this coming week. But I need a fix to tide me over and also I'll want to wrap that sucker..heheh...Currently I have the shinney silver CRAP..it doesnt seem to help one bit. Please throw a url so I can see where to get it (the wrap)

Thank again.

I'll have some pic's tomorrow to post of the meet tonight..And then Also on Sunday for pic's from Satrday night meet.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

That is what it looks like. Thermo Tec website

You can also buy it from www.jcwhitney.com for a little cheaper.

I reccomend the 2" wrap rather than the 1" wrap. It is more expensive, but much easier to work with, and you can cover twice as much with 50' of 2" wrap than 50' of 1" wrap.

Here's what a CAI looks like when heat wrapped (thanks to yellowshark!)

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]