Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Power Loss

Old 06-21-2001, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to replace my plugs and wires because I am having the same problem. I own 2 identical 1999 elantras. One drives like a bat out of hell with no mods. The other has greatly dimminshed performance with some mild tweking. I beleive that my plugs/wires/coil my be responsible thanks to the suggestions of RANDOM. When I researched what I need to change my plugs (just being thourough, I know how to change plugs) I came across this on AutoZone's website.
Two spark plug wires should not be placed side by side for a long span if these wires fire one after the other in the cylinder firing order. When two spark plug wires that fire one after the other are placed side by side for a long span, the magnetic field from the wire that is firing builds up and collapses across the other wire. This magnetic collapse may induce enough voltage to fire the other spark plug and wire when the piston in this cylinder is approaching TDC on the compression stroke. This action may cause detonation and reduced engine power

When I painted my wire cover I don't rember if our wires are seperated my much. They are pretty close to the valve covers and are exposed to some drastic heat only to be compounded by my Texas weather.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:50 PM

Random,
Not to argue with you but although you are also somewhat right when a coilpack is shot one or all or two (you get the point) will show a difference in resisitance and it will be a big difference either higher or lower. The reason I say this and stand behind what I say is that it tells you to do do in the chilton repair manual and it also said to do so in the one I had for my Neon (pos I know rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif ) And low and behold the resistance was significatly higher in post two on the coil and I was having engine problems once the coil was replaced all was good.
Old 06-22-2001, 03:02 PM

We will be offering coil packs to anyone who needs/wants one... US$45, including shipping... Let me know... It will go on the site today or tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

JAWS99
If the coil pack is mainly gone, or mostly gone, the resistance check should show the problem...but if the coil pack is still mostly good....then the resistance check will not show the error.

When cold, my coil pack performs flawlessly. It only fails when hot. Hot or cold, it returns the same resistance values.

So I'm guessing you coil pack has to be pretty far gone to show the error you describe.
Old 06-24-2001, 01:07 PM

I,m just stating what the book says and what I experience with the neon thats all just trying to help.
Old 06-24-2001, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Sorry, this is coming across wrong.

I agree with you, I'm just stating that even if the coil pack shows the same resistance across all terminals...it STILL could be bad.

If the coil pack shows a spike/drop in resistance from one coil terminal to the next...it should be replaced/examined by your dealer if you have a warranty.

Better?