Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Power Loss

Old 04-20-2002, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss

Latly ive been experiencing some power loss. and my engine sounds though as if there was no CAI at all!!.. It feels a tad less powerful than stock. Ive jsut changed the oil today and am cleaning out my CAI Filter as we speak. Is there any other things that could contribute to this.

One thing to note if it has any significance, my by-pass valve is cracked on each of its side connections
Does this have to do with the loss of power?.. maby the vaccum pressure is lost becuase of it?!?!?!..
Old 04-20-2002, 01:05 PM

sorry bout the doubble post.. my computer is screwin up.. the second post is the pic where its all broken (NOTE that is not my broken by-pass valve!!)
Old 04-20-2002, 09:36 PM

did you break it in right when you got the car?
this could also be the cause of loss.
i know some of my friends that floored it right of the showroom floor and now they are also having problems.

check your spark plugs aswell, maybe your running on 3 cyl. you never know my brother was runnin on 6cyl on his v8 t-bird for about a month till we decided to check that out.

hope thats it, something cheap smile.gif
Old 04-20-2002, 10:37 PM

hmm... i know fore sure i broke it in properly... floring or anything...

only thing is.. car's at just over 12000 kms, would spark plugs already go?

hmm.. im definatly gonna check that out today when i put my CAI back in...
Old 04-21-2002, 11:10 PM

never know
my brothers spark plugs were brand new too
we replaced them when we rebuilt that motor and it went in under 5K miles

hopefully thats it
thats like a $6 fix
Old 04-22-2002, 09:34 AM

which do you recommend to get??

i had bosch platinum 4 on my porsche.. everyone keeps tellin me to get these carbon ones or copper or somethin... why go with those over bosh?
Old 04-22-2002, 09:42 AM

i'm a bosch fan myself but i heard that the hyundai spark plugs are the best??? i didn't replace my spark plugs yet but hopefully one of the other kind sirs on this site can tell you what they use and wat they recommend
Old 04-22-2002, 09:48 AM

A lot of people run NGK V-power coppers. The general consensus is that platinum ones are great for a long life, the copper ones spark stronger.

My idle was a bit smoother after switching to the NGKs at about 11k miles. But that's a subjective result of course smile.gif
Old 04-22-2002, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Mach5:
i'm a bosch fan myself but i heard that the hyundai spark plugs are the best???
Not sure where you heard that from, but no, the champion spark plugs hyundai uses are useless for even paperweights.

Go with Copper spark plugs if you don't mind changing them every 20000 miles. Go with Platinum only if you don't want to change your plugs till 100,000 miles. Most people pull their plugs long before 100000 miles, so if you are going to do that...go with coppers. Copper plugs run about $1.50 each. Platinum plugs run about $5.50 each. You can go through 4 sets of copper plugs, and always have fresh plugs for the cost of 1 set of platinums...

I would remove the bypass and see if it improves the performance. Keep it handy if you are paranoid about rain. You should be able to swap out/in a silocone connector in place of the bypass in under 5 minutes.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:18 PM

i think i remember where i heard it from....
my stupid hyundai dealership
those bastards tried to brainwash me