Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Pothole Kills Transmission

Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday I'm heading back to my hometown to spend valentines day with my girl. No biggie, a 2 hour commute. Bout 3/4th of the way I'm on a really nasty part of the highway, hitting ruts left and right. Then about 5 miles down from that, it starts poppin out of gear. I limp it the rest of the way to my parents and leave it. Check the linkage, its fine, check the fluid leve and its low. Go to top it off and I hear dripping. Look underneath and what do I see? Around the rear mount its cracked. Now I'm stuck in my hometown with no way to get back to dallas...... trying to jb weld it real quick tonight to see if it can make it back so I can tear it out this next weekend and replace it. Might hold off and get a new clutch and flywheel since I'll have it out though. Looking into the dsm conversions too.

Just pisses me off that
1. I ordered new coilovers, cuda spoiler, eyelids
2. Was getting it painted seriously next weekend
3. Next month I was going to replace tranny w/ low mileage one and new clutch/ flywheel.

Id decided to start replacing everything on my car monthly..... this month was suspension 02.gif
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

can you make it til next month when you get the new tranny?

did you bottom out on something or are you saying the crappy road quality provided enough of a jolt to crack the case?

Sometimes city/county/state will reimburse you for vehicle damage due to poorly maintained roads. Look into filing a complaint with Texas DOT. There was a local news story here last month about Tennessee roads (ranked 3rd in the country)... they said if TDOT was aware of the problems but had failed to correct it within a timely manner, they were negligent and would cover damage to a vehicle.

Hard to prove the road broke your tranny though...
Old 02-15-2010, 09:51 AM

I hit a big pothole with my right tire and heard the car bottom out and it just plain felt bad. And I wasn't getting on it or anything so I can't think of anything else that could've done it.

I have no other car, I'm leaving this one in my hometown while I ride back with a friend. I'm going to save money and get the trans case asap, but it'll be a few weeks.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Old 02-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

ahh man that sucks, hope everything works out
Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 AM

to add insult to injury.....

tried limping the car home last night around 12am. tired, cold, pissed about the car... went and bought some cheap gear oil for it.

gl5.

damn it wouldn't even shift right with fluid in it...... gave up, it's sitting at my parent's house now until i can figure out what to do.

have a few options though:

1. sell the car and buy another tib
2. buy a new tranny case and hope the innerds aren't completely mucked up due to using gl5
3. buy a new tranny alltogether and replace the entire thing

i'm hesitant on options one and two, due to the fact that i love my car and that i am having trouble finding another tib..... and i don't think i could get the tranny out and into the new case with a rebuild kit in 2 days..... which is all i have to work with right now (i can't afford to miss school, and the car is at my parent's, 200 miles away from me right now)
Old 02-16-2010, 06:11 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

sending you a pm
Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Get the tranny case, swap parts, and get a rental til it's fixed.

This can also go on your insurance if you wanted.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 AM

here's an image of the crack..... well, part of the crack. when i get the tranny out of the car i'll take some really close up pics.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

looks like a chip at the bottom (to the right) of the crack. Think you can say it bottomed out due to the pothole, cracking the case?