Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Possible Water Ingestion

Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

STUPID WATER IN THE ROADS!!!!!! The water was standing over the whole road (so NO way to avoid it)... I couldn't stop and turn around because there was three or four cars behind me. Anywho, I went through the, then thought puddle, which turned out to be a lake, because the water submerged the whole of my fender well!

Alright, the problem... My AEM CAI, which I do NOT have a Bypass valve for because someone preached that they were NOT needed... So now my engine spudders and my CEL blinks on and off. I took the spark plugs out and the number one and the number four plugs had some water on the top of the plugs (the white part where the plug wire connects). I wiped that off and inside the the plug wires themselves. If I just start the engine it runs fine. If I start to drive though, the car starts to jerk and the engine spudders, it doesn't die but it kind of feels like what I would descirbe as one or two cylinders missfires or something like that.

Does anyone else think that there might be something really wrong...?

Either way, I just purchased a brand new AEM Bypass valve! Screw the "minimal loss in HP" I'm sick of water logging my engine...
Old 08-13-2006, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

that sucks man. I have a feeling that some of ur sensors went bad but then with water at ur plugs, there maybe more internal damage. water just dont sound too great in an engine....
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i think your mafs got fried. also get the code read.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:41 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

thats why u dont drive your car in the rain.

sounds like u knew that u were doing something stupid and u did it anyways. u should have just stoped your car and turned around like u first thought. now your stuck trying to fix something that u KNEW u could have prevented
Old 08-13-2006, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

hob, arent you map based? it does sound kind of like a maf problem but obviosuly not if you map
Old 08-13-2006, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

his car is from here... so its maf based
Old 08-13-2006, 11:26 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Are those bypass things worth it then?

I have a AEM clone from ebay and have been considering getting the bypass as it gets very wet here in Jerz.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:51 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

thats right i remember that now faith
Old 08-13-2006, 12:20 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

QUOTE (optimoprime @ Aug 13 2006, 05:41 PM)
thats why u dont drive your car in the rain.

sounds like u knew that u were doing something stupid and u did it anyways. u should have just stoped your car and turned around like u first thought. now your stuck trying to fix something that u KNEW u could have prevented

I knew it was going to be bad... but since you don't know the UK road system, I can't blame you for not knowing what you are talking about here. There is enough room on these roads where I am for two cars (the size of the Tib) and maybe a grain of sand in the middle. The sides of that perticular road were a nice 15ft drop and no shoulders what so ever. So, turning around was really out of the question...

The problem with getting my codes read is that I will have to limp my broken a$$ back to base (roughly 10 minute drive) which could further do damage to my internals... either way I have a huge delima on my hands... *sigh*
Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 PM

SOunds like a sensor or something got fried. IF you did get water in, it was a very minimal amount and the engine probably burnt it off right when it entered it. I've worked with submerged cars, ATV's, and snowmobiles and if you get them started the problem with the ingestion will be fixed. I would put my money on a sensor or some other electrical componet. Try to unplug as many electrical componets as you can and let them sit open with your hood popped and in the sun.