Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Possible Flooding Problem?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a specific sensor or other component that if it had malfunctioned, would cause the engine to recieve too much fuel at start-up, not allowing the engine to fire?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Fuel injectors
ECU
Fuel pressure regulator

what makes you think that your car is flooding? That's quite an odd problem. Explain it.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:37 PM

Well...

Engine wouldn't start in am after some rough-running issues came, went and came again. (no CEL)

Did un-needed replacements like crank sensor, fuel pump, plugs and wires. No change (still wont start)

Buttoned up the whole thing in frustration and just for kicks, turned the key. It started!

Engine ran badly like on 2-3 cylinders just like before.

The last thing I did which I should've done FIRST was check injectors, I took them apart and banged lots of crap out of them. Put them back and car ran GREAT!

Next am, no start.

Seemed like #2 injector was bad, replaced it. Car ran poorly still.

Took #3 injector out, used cleaner etc., replaced it, car ran great, drove it all around town beautifully.

This morning... no start AGAIN!

Whenever I take the FI apart to examine it, I end up replacing it without really doing anything and the car runs great. I shut it down, go to bed, get up and it wont start the next morning. (like 5 times already).

When it cranks, I smell raw fuel from the tailpipe. Whenever I take out an injector (using new o-rings BTW), fuel dumps out of the rail and that injector so I know it's getting to the injectors.

That's why I was wondering if when I take it apart, it kinda dries out (unfloods?) then I assemble it and start it immediately it goes great. I shut it off after a long drive (running perfectly, like new) and the thing just turns over in the morning and just wont fire up. Good thing I have a spare car!.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:38 AM

Did you change the tps ? I had a similar problem with my car and changed a bunch of unneccessary parts and i finally changed the tps and its been working fine since.

Try unplugging your tps to see if the car runs better.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:02 AM

No I haven't. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:38 PM
DTN

heck, try unplugging all of your sensors one by one. Tps, MAF, o2, all of them one at a time. the car will default to the stock settings.

Do you have a check engine light? See what it sys
Old 05-03-2008, 07:23 PM

No CEL. That's what really pisses me off!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:54 PM

So you've banged alot of crap out of the injectors... did you happen to ever replace the fuel filter? Is more crap getting lodged in your fuel system? Sounds like you need to find the source of the crap and get it fixed!

I can't remember if we already went over checking the TPS on your car or not, but I don't quite think a faulty tps will cause a no start, but I've been wrong before. Check it out, since it's such a common problem-maker. I've talked to many people who have had theirs fail, and almost each time it was a different symptom. Mine was cold start "bucking" (almost like the car was trying to hump the road) in 1st and 2nd gears.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:36 PM
DTN

Actually, being that the car does not use o2 sensors durring startup, it would be senseless to unplug them. The car starts in open loop. You can be sure your CPS is good because fuel won't pump without it. The coolant temp and air temp just modify the ammount of fuel and they would definately cause a fault code.

I doubt that you're actually flooding. You're probly just running rich. You should check your spark plug wires by spraying them down with water at night and looking for a sparking. You can check the gap of your spark plugs, definately check your MAF sensor.

I'm not fully sure on what the CKP sensor does for the car. I'm going to do some more research on the various sensors relating to emissions control. For sure check the basics, the car needs the TPS, MAF, fuel, and ignition system to start the car. Those items are in question right now.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 AM

When i had my tps problem, my car would sometimes start/ sometimes not. When it did start it seemed like it was only running on 2 or 3 cyclinders and as soon as you hit the gas, it would stall. We thought for sure that it was a fuel problem. There was no cel.

One morning i tried to start it 3 times, no go. As soon as i disconnected the tps, she fired right up.

So its worth taking the 10 seconds unplugging it and trying that out. Then that way, if its not that, you could still cross that off your list of things youre tried/replaced.