Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Possible Clutch/transmission Problem

Old 03-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem with my transmission and need some advice as to what the problem could be.

So here it is...

Travelling along on the highway at 140kph and it pops out of gear into neutral. Now I gotta tell you... If you have ever experienced this sort of thing you will know that it scares the bloody hell out of you.
So I put it back in gear and a couple of minutes later... Bang... It comes out again.
At first I thought perhaps I didn't have it in gear all the way. Not it happens again??? Can't be.
This goes on and on about 15 times in a 35 minute drive.

Now the last time something like this happened to me my differential went. The pin that holds the pinion pin broke. This allowed the pinion to slide out a little at a time and wear away the differential housing. It wore away to the point where tranny fluid leaked onto the clutch causing it to pop out of gear.

I don't smell anything out of the ordinary.

What do you think it is? Syncros? Clutch? Differential? Is it possible that the transmission fluid is a little low?

SAVE ME!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 PM

My best guess is your gear is worn down...i know our 5th gear is lacking
Old 03-28-2007, 11:31 AM

I hope it isn't that. I wouldn't want to have to swap out transmissions.

Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 AM

a friend of mines civic does this in 4th, and he chalked it up to syncros. My old saturn used to do it in 3rd now and then, i never bothered to fix it tho, so i cant tell you what was wrong there.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

id change there gear oil its possibly low. we did this once at our shop on a Honda civic it was low and the fluid smelled like possy trans additive so we changer the fluid. after that it shifted perfect if there is no drain plug just get a suction pump from the parts store and get as much out as possible before refilling.