Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Port & Polish a Beta I head

Old 11-26-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Late stage of my latest project

I tried searching but besides some comments I didn't find real experiences in other topics.
I read Dweet commented our Beta's head isn't very smooth on the inside, I'd like to know from people that has done (or seen) this kind of job on a Beta head if it's really worth it.
Assuming you already have the head out for a Header-AirRam port matching job... what is the weakest (worse) part of the head where I would have to pay attention to have it ported?
Thx
Old 11-27-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Beta 2 Valve Cover Conversion Kit Pictures...

having never had anymore of my engine apart than the crank pulley and the cams... I cannot comment on the airpath in the head. I can say this though.. if you are going to port and polish, unless you have access to a machine that can properly measure air velocity and flow, do not go "hog" (sorry) wild and just start grinding away at anything that looks like an obstruction... it might flow more air at 6000rpms.. but it will be a pig at lower speeds.. Smoothing out the transition from intake to head is fine, as is polishing.

Personally, I am a fan of Extrude Hone.. while I have heard it does not do much for the Beta.. it does wonders for my italian cars. AND like the conversation we are having elsewhere about NA vs. Turbo... Naturally aspirated IS more expensive for less power.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: What are the wheels made of?

Mad, they extrude hone heads?

I've never heard of anyone trying it on our heads, only the IM's.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Beta 2 Valve Cover Conversion Kit Pictures...

yes, they can do heads.. and the way that magical silly putty works.. you do not even have to remove the valve seats.. it will leave them untouched.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Custom Composite = HUGE SUCKFEST (BOYCOTT) *UPDATE!!*

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
... do not go "hog" (sorry) wild and just start grinding away at anything that looks like an obstruction... it might flow more air at 6000rpms.. but it will be a pig at lower speeds.. Smoothing out the transition from intake to head is fine, as is polishing. .

Yeah, that's exactly what I have in mind, smoothen the transition from IM to the head and then from the head to the Headers. I was just asking about the head in case there was like a common advise on porting something, like vlave guides, etc, etc, that was known to be effective. I'd rather have a semilousy OEM head than a completely messed up head.

If I don't get more specific info on this, I'll just stick to the head ports matching the IM-Headers ports and do a little polish on the first part of the runners. Thanks