Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Pistons Shot?

Old 05-07-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Ok, long story short, my timing was off. I pulled the head off tonight and found 6 bent valves and some minor damage to the pistons. I took pics of the damage, because I still think the pistons are salvagable. My car has 104k on it and right now I just want to be able to drive it to work and back, no extreme mods or racing. I know I either have to replace the head or rebuild it, but I want to be able to not replace any of the bottom end as of now. By looking at the pics, does anyone know if the little damage will be a major problem?? The small radius' on the pistons where the valves hit are very smooth, no sharp points, so I don't think there will be chance of hot spots and detonation. Opinons on whether they are still good or not????

head

piston #1

pistons 2&3

piston 4
Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 PM

you can probably get away with just rebuilding the head... none of the marks on the pistons look like anything more than a slight impression.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

I agree, rebuilding the head, the damages on the pistons are light! good chance and give us some follow up on your engine repair wink1.gif
Old 05-08-2006, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i agree with the others too. when you get it all back together try turning it over by hand first (ign disconnected) just to make sure nothing will hit before you turn the motor over for real.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Valves are cheap from the dealer. Well, as long as you don't have to buy ALL of them.
And you don't need a spring compressor to get the retainers on/off. Just need another set of hands.