Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Pictures Of 1.8 Cam Swap

Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the 1.8 cam swap years ago (one of the first to do so I think) and I can tell you.. when it says 9 pounds on the torque for the journal bolts.. they mean it! If you do happen to break one, do not worry about replacing it, it is going to be stuck deep in the head and will need to be drilled out and tapped. (ask me, I know)

Other than that, it is a snap. I would suggest getting some cam or bearing lube that is made for initial start ups. no sense in gouging up your new cam by starting it dry
Old 02-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

QUOTE (Nathan @ Feb 22 2007, 06:43 AM)
what did you mean about spreading the load across the cam? like loosen all of the bolts gently and little by little ?

Yes. Loosen the journal bolts diagonally & just a little at a time... like when you unbolt one of your rims, to change a tire or something.

I started unbolting them at the chain end & by the time I got to the bolts around cylinder 1, the cam was lifting at one end & pushing down on the timing belt side, forcing oil down into the cylinder.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Should have thought of this earlier!! I took pics of mine when I painted my VC! You can even see the mark on the exhaust cam. My 1.8 cam didn't arrive today, so I'll end up doing mine next week some time. Hopefully I'm not too late putting this up, have you done yours?

Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 AM

got it installed lol. we just went at it ourselves...thanks though....engine seems a little more peppier///i've looked online here and i cant seem to find a dyno before and after a 1.8 cam install? I was just wondering what kinda numbers this increases
Old 03-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Nobody's bothered to dyno it before and after as there's not a huge difference. I think we're only talking about <10hp or so, maybe closer to 5. But hey, it's still an extra little bit!