Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

P1613 Tcm Mil

Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

My beloved car is giving me problems. I couldn't find anything on manufacture CEL in search. Mechanic spent 5 hours couldn't find a thing wrong with the car, read the code and it said it was a Manufacturer code and I would have to go to the dealership to get it checked out.

PROBLEM: Engine shuts off randomly when you're at a stop light or are going slow or in reverse. All dash lights come on, disappear followed by CEL but doesn't flash.

STATS: 1997 Tiburon 2.0 Automatic. 122,000 miles, new water pump, belts changed, oil changed every 3,000 miles promply since I bought the car in 2002. Runs beautifully on the road, drives like new. Airram has been installed without any CEL or problems for the last 3,000 miles. We had a problem with one spark plug in April, one didn't want to come out so we had to break it apart but nothing got into the head. Replaced all four spark plugs/wires added anti-sieze and dialectric grease. Car has been running nothing but normally since.

MODS:
Eibach Pro-Kit
Flyryde EVO Hood
Beta II Valve Cover
Airram with extended PVC grounded to the strut.
AEM CAI
Dual FAL Fans
GT Headers with custom 2.25' Exhaust
Catco High Flor
NGK Spark Plugs
PRD Spark Plug Wires
H3 HID Kit; Lexus HID Kit both with 20 fuses.
Angel Eyes
Both Extended O2 Sensors
Extended Evap cannister

My power doorlocks don't work. You have to open the door three times for the indoor light to come on. Seatbelt ringer was going on and off at one point. Shorty after

Could any of those mods cause an manufacturer CEL to go off? Will the dealer give me SH*T about having a modified Tiburon? Will they even accept working on the car despite my modifications?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ive never heard of not being able to read a code. i know there are some aspects that a simple obd tool cannot do, like wiping the airbag light, but that sounds crazy.

get it checked at autozone for free and see if they can figure it out. if not, go to the dealer and get it read. its like 30 dollars.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:35 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Manufacturer CEL?
lmao.gif
and for the 10000000th time...you need to quit getting raped by mechanics!!!!

Think it's TPS or maybe even alternator related?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 AM

oh man i've spent more money on mechanics than when i first bought this car. actually this happened once on my way back from florida. driving, come up to a light and suddenly everything turns off in f*cking speed trapped wierdoville Ocala. when i started it up i had to give it some gas. it seems injector related, maybe cam position sensor?

it could be the TPS, hopefully not something directly related to the engine. we'll know when the lights and door locks start working. hopefully the damn dealer can answer my call.

ah i just had my alternator changed in May. Belts are a year old. Changed the tranny fluid yesterday. I keep her in good maintenance. Everything is in near perfect condition. Just this one stalling problem.

yeah t01, like the airbag light that you have to go to the dealer to get checked out.

Thanks dudez.

i wouldn't ever sell this car though so don't begin to doubt good old KFC. I'm not turning to no dark side GK darth vader. I just want to get to work!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:20 AM

just swap the tranny already, that will fix all your problems cool.gif
Old 09-23-2006, 10:14 AM

Very bad news. I don't know if this has anything to do with my modifications. I don't think it does.

P1613 ECM Failiure
P0422 Main Cat EFFI Below (B1)

The car is driving crazy. It'll turn off while driving and switch down gears and flicker lights. What the hell could have caused my computer to f*ck up? And how can I prevent this from happening again? Can I just replace the computer with another one?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm, sounds exactly like the problem my RD1 has.

One of the codes is the same too.

The ECM (ECU) didn't fix it when we swapped it.

I'd lean towards that o2 sensor.

You runnin rich?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:40 AM

ah are you serious!! damn dude i'm officially screwed now... i love my car so much and it drives beautifully and now this.

i extended both 02 sensors but it says the computer isn't reading a catalytic converter at all. i think this has to do with the cat being in the back of the exhaust instead of the front, it doesn't get enough heat to work.

do you think by fixing the exhaust and swapping the computer would be ok? OP didn't have a catalytic converter on his tiburon at all and didn't get any of this. that's what strays me away from the theory it had anything to do with the catalytic converter.

nothing at all about the evaporation cannister i think the extension worked.

[/img]
my catco high flow is in the back where it doesn't get heat. engine and everything is hooked up the way it should be. i keep her clean and take good care. i don't know why the computer would go out.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Things die mang.

That vaccum line to your idle bypass looks horrible doode, I'd get that fixed.

Check all your wiring. Get a ECU to swap with for a day. Change out your o2 sensors maybe?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:02 PM

1. That hose going from your elbow is severly f*ed up, put a clamp around it at least.

2. Why did they use a liquid gasket on your valve cover?????

3. WTF is that plastic bag wrapped around your CAI?

4. Your CAI does not go into the coupler very straight, it's like, crooked and bulging dude.

5. Why did you need to put a hose clamp over your big radiator hose?

Anyway, I'd check your o2 sensors.....

You could also try buying a 1.8 ECU (not TCU) and installing that, I guess if your ECU was having problems, that would be a good fix + improvement!