Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Overheating... Water Pump?

Old 04-20-2006, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Here's the deal. I have every cooling measure you can shake a stick at in my car. FAL fans, Outlaw spacers, entirely replaced intake system for good air flow(AEM CAI, BBTB, Airram), and Jet Hot coated headers. Now, my car is overheating. It actually started right after installing my Airram and BBTB, aside from the idle problem I now have it went smoothly. So, first thing first I replaced the T-Stat... still overheating. I drained the radiator when I put in the T-Stat so it has new fluid and I "burped" the system like people suggested to Dweet. At the same time I did an oil change and bought a new air filter cone and new radiator cap. Damn, I'm down to possibly the water pump and... ????? Someone suggested possible temp sensor and that there are 2 in the car to Dweet. What do you guys think?

My dad suggested taking the radiator cap off and running the car to see if the fluid is flowing but all the fluid does is slowly rise up as the engine warms up and start to flow out. Is that what it's supposed to do? Does that take the water pump off the list of possibilities or does it mean that's the problem. Also, I don't have any leaks like Undacovatib did just before his water pump went kaputz.

I just thought of this while typing this. I did the coolant bypass when I installed the BBTB. While I'm waiting for suggestions I'm going to replace that hose with a little longer one to make sure of no kink because it seemed to kink a tiny bit before from what I remember.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:31 AM

easy way to tell if your pump is working at all.. rev the engine when it starts to flow out.. the pump should suck it back down.

The thing I see.. this happened after all of your mods. Did you securely loop the coolant hoses to the throttle body back onto itself? How about your fans? do they PULL the air through the radiator, or are they trying to push it back towards the front of the car (don't laugh, I have seen it)

Seen any coolant leaking under your car?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:01 AM

Lol, no the fans are blowing the right direction and no leaks. I'll try the revving trick tomorrow. As for the loop... the loop is secure but like I said I'm going to check for possible slight kink that might slow down the flow and replace the hose if need be... again, tomorrow. Thanks!

Any and all suggestions welcome.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The tiny bit of flow from the BBTB bypass shouldn't do anything.

I need to ask you, when is the last time, if ever, you've changed your coolant? I'd get your coolant tested and replace it if needed. Flush the entire system if need be.

Also, check your radiator to see if it's clogged while flushing it.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:46 AM

good point.. does your radiator get warm or hot all the way from top to bottom?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:15 PM

Not sure on the warm/hot radiator all the way up/down. I did a flush on the system a few months back when I put in the FAL fans and drained/refilled it with the replacement of the T-stat 2 weeks ago just for the heck of it. I "burped" it last night again and so when I go home tonight I'll let the car run to see if it overheats again. Did a small fix on the idle and replaced the rad cap also. So, I'm hoping it's good now. It actually ended up having one more big air bubble left to be squeezed out and I have yet to run it again to check it. So, that's the plan tonight.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

I have a stock rad fan for sale if your intrested...
Most likely its your RAD if your overheating if you already did a Flush and changed teh Thermostat
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

get you a thermontor and check to see the temp, if your overheating the reserve tank would be overflowing..you could have a bad temp sensor or your dash cluster is f*** up. have you done any mods to the cluster did you zero all your gadges? how they check here is leave the cap on and every couple mins or so slowly open it to relive the pressure. and when your fans kick on open it thats when your thermostat will open and you will be able to see if your pumps bad.. if its not any of them you migh have a bad head gasket
Old 04-23-2006, 09:56 PM

Mad_john - Actually, it does overflow when it overheats. No mods to the cluster. I'll keep what you suggested in mind. Thanks

2UNIQ - A radiator fan or a radiator? lol
Old 04-24-2006, 08:31 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

Well actually i do have the STOCK RAD fan and Rad for sale
Let me know
Thanks
EMail me at UNIQ74@sympatico.ca smile.gif