Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

one last question and ill leave you alone

Old 08-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one last question and ill leave you alone

i am helping a friend of mine build a cai and i needed to know if everythig would work fine if he stuck this hose(look at the pic) on smaller pipe with about 6mm diameter(not counting hte sidewalls) which is smaller then it should be....2ce smaller then stock i think but not sure.

i am talking about 1.5 SOHC 1999 Accent

[ August 04, 2002, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Big_Al ]
Old 08-02-2002, 02:54 PM

I don't think it will work, that hose is where the air comes from to control the engines idle and if it is to small it will not supply enough air. You should try anyway cause it might work just be sure to test it at an idle under a full load(turn on a/c, headlights, ect.)
Old 08-02-2002, 03:40 PM

I wouldn't be so worried about that hose as the placement of the Mass Air Flow Sensor--where would that go on that intake? The IAB(idle air bypass) vent has to be after the MAFS, where is he going to put that sucker? If the MAFS doesn't measure the idle airflow, at a closed throttle position the MAFS will read zero and so the ECM won't inject fuel, a bad situation all around.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

In theory, it could work. If you adjusted the idle screw so that enough air get's past the TB butterfly for a stable 800 RPM idle, between that, and the small hole, you should be able to maintain a decent idle. The problem would be "closed throttle" cruise. When you take your foot off the pedal at speed and let the car "coast". With the TB butterfly closed (or nearly so), enough air has to get though the idle air bypass to keep the engine from developing crazy ammounts of vaccum. I don't think that hose is of a large enough diameter to allow this.

Just take the hose to your local machine shop or exhaust shop. Ask them to weld on a 3/8" or 1/2" pipe bung where the existing 1/4" bung is.

It may not look chrome and shiney like the pipe you have there, but it will work.

Please also heed what Veniston said. The MAF MUST be before that connection.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:42 PM
Al

ummmmm ok suppose i have a correct size pipe welded on....is it ok if i get longer hose(i have a pipe with almost correct sise thingi but it is on the opposite side of where i need it to be)? will that make a difference
i dont see how it could but i just wanted to hear from the pros wink