Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

oil, lube, and filter

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Accent
Default oil, lube, and filter

When you take your car to a place for an oil change and they advertise oil, lube, and filter...what exactly do they "lube" up for you?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Grease fittings. It'll vary by car. Some cars don't have any grease fittings, so nothing.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

.. I don't think any new cars have Zerk/Lube fittings. The last car I "lubed" was a 1986 Mercury Gran Marquis. It was squeaking a lot around the front end so I lubed the chassis via Zerk fittings.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

They lube your WALLET. NEVER take your car to a lube chain shop *cough*jiffylube*cough* EVER. From conversations from people who used to work there, who would never take their cars there, I learned what I had already suspected:

They don't care about your car, and sometimes will do Very Bad Things to it, for kicks. Do your own oil changes and save thousands of dollars over the course of your car's lifetime.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:33 PM

thousands?

shop x charges 30 bux for a oil change

if you did it yourself it would cost roughly 15 dollars(using comparable oil)

savings of 15 bux

to save 1 thousand dollars, it would take 67 oil changes

which would put you at just over 200k miles

my work uses mobil oil, wix filters(carquest brand), wash your windows, vacuum your interior, top off all fluids, check your air pressure, and a 23 point inspection

for 31 dollars, if you buy a "silver members card" for 20 bux you get 3 dollars off your oil changes for LIFE, free roadside assistance, free towing coverage(iirc 1 tow per year up to 100 bux)

and we can do it in 10 minutes

granted since i work there i still do my own changes, for people who DONT have the tools or know how, places like that are well worth the money
Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my cars is at 150+k miles
The other is at 55k ish.
These are the third and fifth cars I have purchased. I intend to take both of them WELL over 200k miles.

Yes, thousands.

And nobody "oops" cuts a hole in your lower radiator hole (for example) while they're down there. And nobody tries to upsell you on blinker fluid or clutch springs. If you work at a good place, then great. Be a shining example at whatever you do, wherever you work. Speaking for myself, the only time I'm planning on taking my car to (e.g.) Jiffy Lube is if I get tired of the engine being so reliable, and want somebody to leave the oil drain plug out so it will seize on the drive home, and then they'll buy me a new motor.