Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Loss need info

Old 01-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Loss need info

Ok guys, Heres the situation. My valve lifters started making some noise. I checked the oil and found I was 2 quarts low, so I replaced oil and the valves silenced themselves. A couple months later those lifters started singing again and once again I was 2 quarts low. There is no evidence of a leak and I have not been burning any so I present this question to you, where the hell is my oil going. Also I refilled my oil and the lifters are still FUBB and its so bad my what was the loudest exhaust in NWFL is now almost silent.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:42 PM

You need to supply a little moe info....
How many miles does your car have on it?
How many miles did you go in that couple of months?

You really should check your oil more often to begin with, I check my oil once a week and change it every couple of months or 3,500 miles even though I run synthetic. If you only check your oil every couple of months or wait for your lifters to start ticking that tells me you most likely don't change it to often. Proper maintnece is the key to a happy engine,if you neglect it, it will piss on your leg..........
Old 01-10-2005, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yep, we need more information. I agree with Maxxtib as well, I check my oil every week, and in the GSX i check the oil feed and return lines and everything turbo-related every day. I'm paranoid like that. wink1.gif Prevenative maintenence is a good thing, try it. smile.gif
Old 01-11-2005, 04:07 AM

so what ya'll are telling me is hyundai engines are crap. Because my friends accent does the same exact thing. I never had this problem in my nissan. my car has a little under 80,000. and that was prolly 5,000 in that couple months. Either way that is no excuse for 2 quarts of oil to just up and disappear.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:06 AM

no, what we are telling you is that ALL engines use some oil.. some more than others. Vdub made those wonderful 16 valve engines back in the 80s before they discovered the VR6 and turbo charging... those engines would use a quart of oil WHEN NEW every 1500 miles.

Some engines, even from the same maker, use less oil than others. I change mine every 4000 to 4500 miles. I used about a quart of oil in that time (I run mobil 1 synthetic). I do not find that excessive.. I actually find it VERY surprisingly good. You have to remember that a 4 valve engine WILL use more oil than a 2 valve due to the doubled number of seals around the valves, the larger number of lifters, and just more moving parts to keep lubricated.

As for your lifters.. I think you killed them through starvation. It will not hurt you in the future to check the oil at least every other fill up or two weeks.. whichever comes first.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:06 AM

Mad's right, different cars burn different amounts of oil depending on age and wear. Did you ever jack up your car and look underneath?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:07 AM

QUOTE (ironh19)
so what ya'll are telling me is hyundai engines are crap

No we are not saying they are crap, we are saying your an idiot for going 5,000 miles without even checking the oil, you should have changed it by then, you have 80,000 miles on your car and it seems like you only changed your oil once or twice and you expect your engine to last in those conditions.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:57 AM

QUOTE (ironh19)
so what ya'll are telling me is hyundai engines are crap.

No, hyundai engines are not crap. My guess is your friends accent receives the same treatment as your car, and IMO with that kind of caring, you could turn ANY engine into "crap".
Cars are noble machines, the only thing you have to give back is some caring and making sure things get changed as they are supossed to be.
Top notch competition cars, such as the ones in WRC (World Rally Championship) or F1, IRL, CART, etc, etc, have pieces that last only a couple of HOURS, if you don't change them, they brake and just turn everything arounbd them useless. Do you think those engines are crap?
I think you should go back to your Nissan if it was a better option for you, maybe Nissans don't need oil changes... rolleyes.gif
Old 01-11-2005, 10:53 AM

the beta (the engine that comes in the RD tib) is one of the best 4 cylinders out there. If there is an issue with your car burning oil im going to guess it has been beaten on. Also you said after every couple of months its burns 2 qts? Well you are supposed to change your oil at least once every 3 months or 3000 miles so it sounds to me you arent maintaining your engine properly. No wonder its eating oil.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

Check the positive crankcase ventilation system that can cause excesive oil use, could be that the line is clogged.

any oil in your coolant?

jack that baby up and have a good look it may be a slight leak in the back of the block that slowly burns the oil up from the sheer heat of the engine turning it to sludge before it can leave a puddle on the ground.

when your car idle's does it smoke any at all?

what grade oil are you using? etc 10w-40

and exactly how much noise are those lifters making? loud? loud as? not so loud?

what engine do u have 2.0 or 1.8?cool.gif