Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Leaking, Need Help

Old 04-10-2005, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my header and catback put on yesterday. now today i smell burning rubber and theres oil on the front of the block. not to much but just to coat it. i really cant tell where its coming from. i also notice a little more heat coming from my engine but my temp gauges and oil pressure gauge read normal. i also know that to get the header on the mechanic had to remove the power steering pump. any suggestions guys?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

tighten your oil filter....that usually the easiest problem to fix
Old 04-10-2005, 08:40 AM

i dont think it was touched, why would it be? it just started after exhaust got put on
Old 04-10-2005, 08:51 AM

i would tighten it anyways plus some oil might have fallen out when they replaced the header
Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 AM

alright ill try that, but it went on yesterday but only really smelled it today, and the is below the header. its coming from there. its wet below and underneath, almost looks likes its coming from the block itself 02.gif
Old 04-10-2005, 08:58 AM

i still would tighten the oil filter and clean off any reside that way you can see if it is coming off anywhere else
Old 04-10-2005, 09:09 AM

That burn smell is normal when you install a new header but it usually goes away after a day or two. As far as oil leaking, I don't know what your mechanic did, but you shouldn't have to mess with anything that has oil. I've put two different headers on my car and didn't have to mess with anything that circulates oil. Removing the powersteering pump shouldn't have anything to do with it either. Can you produce pics of the part that is leaking oil? Maybe your mechanic screwed up somewhere or you may have had oil leaking prior and didn't notice it untill now.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:13 AM

Just out of curiosity, I know on my Italian cars, the threads on the exhaust manifold thread into the oil galleries of the head. If a stud comes loose, it will leak oil all over the exhaust (lovely smell) Does Hyundai do something similar?

As for the smell of burning plastic, I would take a good look at your engine compartment, chances are you might be melting something. I would start with whatever is closest to the headers and work away from that. However, I do know in my tib, that from day one if I got on it hard for a couple of gears, I would get a burnt plastic smell. That is stock too.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:23 AM

ill give him a call and see what he says, im jackin it up now to look underneath... its rubber not plastic burning. i dont have a digi cam but it looks to be about a 45 degree angle away from pipe 4. just off the block, my oil pressure sensor is there but it never leaked before unless he hit it...

UPDATED: i cleaned it up some and it looks like the oil is coming out of the block where my oil pressure sensor is. i think the guy that installed header hit it and loosened it. i hope its not damaged : 02.gif
Old 04-10-2005, 12:54 PM

that would make sense.. you would not need much of a leak at the sensor to make a mess. Might he also have taken it off the car to fit the header and then neglected to tighten it down all the way?