Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

oil cooler

Old 04-30-2003, 04:35 AM
Jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler

Right i am about to finish my oil cooler install and i have a question.

For those in the know, i currently have an oil temp sensor located in the sump drain plug. But due to the fact that it is brass it gets a little more damaged every time i change the oil. So i want to move it.

I have bought a T-piece for the purpose of braking into the oil cooler piping. My question is where should i locate the sensor. My guess is on the side that feeds the oil cooler( from the outer ring of holes on the oil filter correct???) not in the return pipe(center hole??). Also i know the temp will be higher than in the sump but this will only be fractional wont it???

TIA Jon
Old 04-30-2003, 10:52 AM

Why would it get damaged?
I have my sensor tapped into the oil pan as well and dont have any problems at all!!
The sensor is for my Oil Temp gauge and my oil pressure is tapped into the cylinder head
Old 04-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Jon

Why because its brass and the head is very thin and with changing the oil evey 3000 its slowly wearing it. I dont want to get to the point where it totaly rounds off.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

jon-

You can buy a spare oil pan (new or used) and have a machine shop weld on a threaded bung for your temp sensor.

You could also 'T' off the stock oil pressure sender, or tap the head for the oil temp
Old 04-30-2003, 10:44 PM

I'm going to remove my oil pan this weekend and bang out a dent (still don't know how it got there), clean out the sludge, and drill a hole for my turbo drain line.

That, and I think I'm leaking a tiny bit of oil out of the pan seal while the car's running.

The procedure isn't hard, just time consuming. There are a lot of bolts, but once you have it off, you can weld, drill, epoxy, thread anything you want.

Hopefully I'll get some pics and have an idea of the PITA factor next week.

good luck,
AC
Old 05-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Jon

Yeh i think thats going to be the best option so that i can carry on getting acurate readings. Thanks guys
Old 05-04-2003, 02:14 AM

Jon!
WHat Oil cooler brand do you have?