Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Build Up

Old 04-11-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I just looked at my valve cover, oil cap and it's totally brown. There's a lot of oil deposit and build up around as well as inside of the valve cover. Just spoke to my friend and told me the best thing to do would get that new engine and tranny swap.

But the car runs ok. I mean, just as good as when I first bought her. What could I do to eliminate this build up? Can I get rid of it and flush it through somehow? My friend told me to throw some tranny fluid there and idle it for a good 20 mins because tranny fluid has cleaning agents in it.

Is the life of my 120,000 mile engine going to end soon because of this? He said there must be some buildup in the valves and rings as well.

Thanks for now!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:40 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

buy some good flush oil, but not 5 min flush oil. Use 15-20 minz flush oil.

How often do you change your oil? What oil do you use (brand, temp range).

How hard do you drive?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:23 AM

how often do you change your oil and filter?

It is quite normal for a high miliage engine to have discolouration on the aluminum due to oil residue. Even the cleanest engines have SOME.

I think we need pics to accurately diagnose this.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:44 PM

i change my oil every 3k miles ever since i bought the car. never missed a deadline. my gas station does the car so i'm not sure what oil they use, i think it's mobil1 though. i drive the car daily (when i mean daily i mean the car is used for a total of 4-5 hours per day), long distances mostly in and out through much traffic and stoplights.

i'm also on a CEL, been running lean thanks to the sh?tty evap can that my friend is about to repair.

i'll get some pics for you guys. haha... it's not pretty i tell ya.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Everything look's fine to me.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 PM

I have owned cars with worse build up than that. My First Fiat, the oil had not been changed in years while the car was sitting. I had to drop the pan to clean the sludge out. Engine ran fine for another 50,000 miles
Old 04-12-2006, 08:13 PM

^ that's a lot of mileage on a Fiat Mad!! My dad had a sporty brand new Mazda with a rotary engine during the 70's through 80's. He drove it for 13 years without changing the oil and never had any problems with it. Funny story huh?

When I open up the valve cover, i'll see what it looks like. It might not be as bad as my friends think. Car would drive like new if it wasn't for that evaporation cannister we're trying to fix.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

mine looks like that when u take the cap off. when i took off the valve cover it looks like a lite golden brown. looks fine to me.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 PM

That's completely normal, and does not indicate buildup in the engine. That doesn't qualify as "a lot of oil deposit".

That's NOTHING compared to my Toyota Highlander. It has a thick crust of baked oil under the cap due to the poor design of the cover, which the dealer says is common. But I worry about chunks breaking off and clogging a line somewhere.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:29 AM

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Apr 13 2006, 05:13 AM)
^ that's a lot of mileage on a Fiat Mad!! My dad had a sporty brand new Mazda with a rotary engine during the 70's through 80's. He drove it for 13 years without changing the oil and never had any problems with it. Funny story huh?

Rotary engines use oil+fuel mixture like bycicles, maybe that's why no oil changes?